ULCS TriPOD Clamp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lanwu

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone here uses the ULCS TriPOD Clamp? Not sure when it came out, but it seems recent.

The main question I had was that it seem that w/ the cutaway of the clamp around the ball joint, that structurally, it would be weaker so wouldn't withstand the same tightened pressure as the regular clamps from ULCS.

Any first hand experiences from anyone?

The pic included is of both the UCLS regular TriClamp as well as their TriPod Clamp.

-------------------
"Tripod Clamp (AC-TRI) - Use this unique clamp to create a tripod out of three arm segments. Cut away edges on the clamp allow the arms to stand up straight. The top of the clamp has a 1/4-20 thread to mount directly in a mounting hole, however most people like to install a 1/4-20 ball (base adapter) to this bolt. Install another ball to your camera and connect the two with a Standard Clamp to make a custom ball head."

I use them when I play with a 4 strobe setup, one set being large S&S 350s. Also use it when I want to mount my focus light out on the arm rather than on the housing. They have a good grip underwater. I use a small rubber cord to keep them from dangling when topside. This is not a great pic but will give you an idea.

Mjh,

Quite the rig you got there!! But Seattle's a good place for it...I used to live in Vancouver, the northern one....& go down to Seattle's sites....Still need to get back the Anacortes pier pilings sometime...

Are you using the tripod clamp on your rig in the pic? Sorry, can't quite tell....If so, is it able to hold your big 350's in a fixed position ON LAND comfortably?

mjh:
I use them when I play with a 4 strobe setup, one set being large S&S 350s. Also use it when I want to mount my focus light out on the arm rather than on the housing. They have a good grip underwater. I use a small rubber cord to keep them from dangling when topside. This is not a great pic but will give you an idea.

That is a monster rig! What is it for? Super wideangle shots??

:11:

The clamps will not hold the arms in place when on land. the weight of the two strobes is too much. If it was just the 350s it might but you would really have to crank them down. With the 4 strobe set I run a rubber budgee cord between the two. This pic might be a little better.

This is a setup I am playing with the 10.5mm lens and tight areas like piers or big wrecks. It works but you really have a lot to pay attention to and with the strobes in position underwater there is a lot of drag.

I have both the triple clamp and the tripod clamp. Like all UL stuff it's a work of art.

The triple clamp is handy for a light meter or whatever. It does seem to take excessive cranking to get the same "grip", but hasn't seemed any worse for the wear.

The tripod clamp I use very rarely for a slave strobe, making a tripod out of spare arm sections. Here the cranking forces aren't as high, and it seems like it could take high cranking tension, anyway.

This is a real expensive way to get a tripod, though. I think it's about $70 for just the tripod clamp with the ball on the 1/4-20 threaded stud. And, the tripod you'll get will be pretty useless for mounting a camera on. Strobes are fine, though.

All the best, James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom