Demise of "vintage doubles"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MilitantMedic

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Out of curiosity how come doubles were far more prevelent "back in the day" than they are now? I am excluding tech divers from this :07:. I'm refering to "run of the mill" diving.

MilitantMedic:
Out of curiosity how come doubles were far more prevelent "back in the day" than they are now? I am excluding tech divers from this :07:. I'm refering to "run of the mill" diving.

Cylinder capacities were lower so you needed to gang them up for more bottom time. Also the double hose regulators work best when they are as close to your lungs as possible. Smaller diameter tanks help with this and take you back to my first reason.

Pete

Yep, back then, doubles often meant double fifties.

Since I can get a 131 off the shelf from Faber, the need for small doubles is greatly reduced.

Twin 72’S and 90’S were quite common. I think cost and weight had a lot to do with the decrease in popularity.

About the time the BC started to come into vogue they were designed more for singles than twins. Those hard plastic backpacks were a pain with a single but totally sucked with doubles.

Gary D.

good points. I didn't think about the double hosers.

I had a set of twin 40s, it was a bugger to have to pay double. I still have a couple sets of 50s, the trim & balance is just too sweet to get rid of them.
I broke down all my twin 72s into singles, too heavy.

Hey this is not the forum to post your wedding pics, you need to keep that stuff in non-diving forums. OK?

I think another reason may have something to do with the dive tables. Back in the 'olden' days the max bottom times were a lot longer than they are now. My original dive tables from 1980 are WAY different than the new one's. According to the new tables we should have all died years ago from being narc'ed or bent over and over.

Back
Top Bottom