No valve drills (indy doubles)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MidOH

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Here's the scenario: Deep open water dive, to the outside of a shipwreck. Great Lakes or East Coast, maybe Carolina.

Boat rules: Advanced card, deep, redundant air. Diver must maintain enough air in each cylinder to go from bottom to surface comfortably, at all times. No side mount on this boat.

You choose back mounted doubles. You suck at valve drills. Too inflexible. Too big. Too narc'd. Whatever reason you want. You can do them, but it seems stupid in an emergency situation. So you choose to remove your isolator and plug your modular valves.

Discuss. (The indy doubles threads here, are a bit dated, and drift towards tech stuff, or vacation soft strap nonsense.) Some of what I've heard:

-If I lose a tank valve or freeflow a reg, I can get to the surface easy, without wasting time checking valves or diagnosing anything. Thumb dive, breath off of the leaky sides regulator, switch to the other.

No big deal.

-"But, but, you lose access to half your air." I don't need that air. I maintained plenty in my other tank. I can always carry more air by switching to hp120's, or slinging another bottle.

-"But you can't feather the bad cylinder." Again, don't need to.

"You're combining the downsides of backmount, with the downsides of sidemount." So?

-"You could leave the isolator in, and just dive with the valve closed." But I'm at risk of losing all my air to a valve failure. "So sling an Al40+, with your doubles. And maintain your valves better. Double redundancy > single redundancy." Not exactly ideal.

-[puffs out chest] "Just get more flexible. Go get beat with whips and chains in a GUE class. Dive manifold doubles, or dont dive back mount doubles at all. Switch to rebreather or a sidemount friendly boat."

-"Choptima rebreathers are smoking hot for a reason. " Combine with single tank or baby doubles. Solves these issues completely. Or get a backmounted tech rebreather, Fathom or Gue. "This is the future of anything deep, even outside of the tech realm."

There really isn't anything to discuss that isn't present in the above threads. Backmounted independent doubles haven't changed other than falling further out of common use.

Or you could just close the isolator, or carry an 80 stage bottle, or how about back mount a 120 and carry two (or three!) 40s while using an Air2?

Gotta love that annoying saying: gear fix for a skills problem. Short of someone with a physical disability after something like major shoulder surgery, anyone in doubles can do valve drills. 99% of the time it’s poor skills. Other can argue otherwise, but it’s true. If you’re too fat or too immobile to do drills (other than a disability), you’re the equipment problem and you should fix yourself not the gear. But divers don’t like to look at themselves in that light.

Assume a disability then.

Chest too thick, bicep too thick, damaged joints.

Irrelevant.
If something fails you do a cesa or breath off your buddies octo.

If ether of those things don't work for you, you should be following proper technical diving protocol.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom