I've narrowed it down to 2...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lisa_j

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My BF are ready to invest some money in a nice underwater set up. Our underwater photography experience is a total of 4 Bahamian dives with a rental camera and a small strobe, and the results prompted this decision!! The pictures were very green, but I do attribute a lot of that to my lack of skills!
I've done a lot of research, and based on our budget and needs, I have narrowed my choices to the Canon A95 and the Oly C7070(I know I have to hurry if I want this one!) I will get an Ikelite housing for either one.
Based on the reviews on CNet, these cameras are very similar in quality, functionality and ratings. We are retiring our topside-used Canon A60 and Oly 3030Z, so we're familiar with both models.
Of course price is always a factor, but if the OlyC7070 is really worth the extra $400 (with housing) then we don't mind going for it.
I understand we will need a strobe at some point too, so my decision will be based on the availability of compatible strobes and also price of them, and even performance without one!
I know everyone's partial to thier own stuff, but if you wouldn't mind also listing why one is better than the other or what makes it so great, that would really help us in this decision. We're planning to have this camera for a long time and we'd like to take nice pictures today, and still have room to grow with it tomorrow.
Thanks for any and all input!!
Lisa J

When it comes to choosing a strobe, the Ikelite website has suggestions for strobes to go with housings.

Don't know much about either camera other than Oly's are very popular with underwater photographers. I'd print out the specs to both cameras and put them side by side and make a comparason and narrow it down based on features you want for both underwater and above water applications.

Lisa... I don't use either of the cameras that you have listed above. My wife uses a Canon S70 with a Canon Housing.

I can tell you that the 2 cameras you've chosen are very different from each other. It's not apples to apples.

Out of the 2 that you have listed... I would pick the OLY. You're comparing a 5MP to a 7MP... Which first of all OLY has better resolution at the same MP rating (as told to me from the camera store I used to work at)

2nd... The OLY that you've chosen goes to 28mm wide angle, and the A95 only goes to 38mm wide (not that wide)

Other factors to think about with a camera would be the recycle time (time until you can shoot again) which the OLY doesn't list in their specs. The A95 is "10 secs or less"

Before you decide on the 2 cameras to narrow it down to... perhaps you shoud try to find 2 cameras that have the same, or are even close in features.

IMO, you're not picking 2 cameras with similar enough features to make a real comparison... In your case, I would go Oly.

Thanks so much! That strobes site will be very helpful!

As far as different cameras/different features go...I do understand they're not very similar but we like both and I just can't make up my mind! The 5MP vs 7MP doesn't really make a difference to us, we're not going to blow any pictures up over 8x10s.

I was just putting a feeler out there to see if I missed anything in my 'research'. I have been leaning towards the Oly, like you said Howarde, I have seen they're very popular among divers.

Thanks again for your replies, maybe in a few months I'll have some great pics to share!

lisa_j:
The 5MP vs 7MP doesn't really make a difference to us, we're not going to blow any pictures up over 8x10s.

Please don't only think of blowing your pictures up, but also think that you might want to crop a photo. There, the bigger res will come in handy :wink:

Someone correct me if i'm wrong but i thought the Canon A series didn't have the ability to take RAW. FWIW the ability to take RAW has helped tons for me to learn to take pics underwater and it would be a necessity for any UW camera in the future (for me).

I know the Canon S series has RAW...not to throw another camera into the mix :wink: Also Fuji just came out with the E900 that i know a lot of people are thinking could be good for UW considering the popularity of the F810.

Chris

justleesa:
Please don't only think of blowing your pictures up, but also think that you might want to crop a photo. There, the bigger res will come in handy :wink:

Hey great point! I didn't think of that!
Can you tell photography isn't my forte?

Thanks for pointing that out!

Monkey Knife-Fight, can I ask for more information on how having RAW has helped? I've had two underwater digital cameras so far, and neither has taken RAW so I'm wondering if my next one (oh boy, only just got a new one and already talking about the "next" one) should have RAW as an option?

Curious...why not get a housing for your 3030?

You could spend more on the strobe...in the end the whole shebang will be cheaper.

Thought I'd provide another choice...make your life more difficult?

Russell

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom