primary reels, what's the best?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Campana

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I broke my Dive Rite primary reel. The spool part broke, with one side breaking loose from the center spindle. I don't know when it happened, but it wasn't dropped or backed over with a truck or anything. It has a warranty and I already fixed it, but it seems to be weak. My instructor said he didn't like Dive Rite Reels for that reason. I'm looking at a Halcyon and a Woody Jasper. Any prefs?

EE/Halcyon reels.

The side mounted handle makes it easy to maintain drag/tension on the reel as you pay out line. And I swear you could drive a truck over it without a problem.

Roak

I got my cave ticket last week; and I missed Connie LoRe at Ginnie Springs by 10 minutes. I was going to introduce myself and tell her I was going on the trip in December. I bought the "Cave Diving in the Yucatan" DVD and have been visualizing myself cruising through the speleothems without wearing any of them home. Thanks for the advice on the reel.

Dave

The design of the Halcyon reel is far superior to anything else I've seen. Even though it's pricey it's the way to go.

I just started cave training, and got a Halcyon reel as a primary. Maybe those of you who love the things can explain how to use them properly. I find that with tension on the reel, it's very difficult to hold steady and reel up compared to normal reels with a handle on top. I practiced in OW as well following a bag to the surface, and had the same trouble. If I held the handle in my right hand and reeled backward with my left it worked a little better, but not much. Bear in mind I have very little experience with either, but I definitely had an easier time using my instructor's standard reel. So, what am I not seeing about using the Halcyon? I love the solid construction and the clean feel, and I'd love to be able to use it effectively. As it stands, it's staying in the bag for now.

Have you guys seen the Manta Reels, I use them alot and really like them, as they do not snag at all.

Mike

Originally posted by trheeltek
I find that with tension on the reel, it's very difficult to hold steady and reel up compared to normal reels with a handle on top.

Try losing the tension and using your thumb (holding hand, not reeling hand) to prevent free spooling/backlash.

Tom

I'll try that suggestion and see how it goes. I was taught to keep tension on the line, though - the reason I had such a problem with this reel was it reeled up so slowly, I kept outswimming it and having to back up to keep tension. With flow, it was even worse. I'll try again, hopefully it will be better this time.

tr,

When I start into the cave, I have the reel in my left hand. Primary light in left hand and the reel handle in the same position as the light handle with the opening towards me. I control the tension on the line with my thumb.

On a descent, I switch the reel to my right hand(palm facing up) and turn the opening towards me. I then put the light in my hand(not through the goodman handle). I control the tension with my pinky, ring and index finger using my pointer and thumb to hold the light head.

This leaves my left hand free to equilize, BC and Dry suit.

When going in, I try to keep my arm extended this keep the line away from me and my gear.

Then when I go back to level ground I just slide my left hand into the goodman handle(which is facing up as it is cradled in my right) and turn hand over and grab the reel. Again always with the opening facing towards me.

On exit, I keep the light in my left hand (turn palm in towards right when extended) I grab the reel and keep the opening facing up. I then start to reel in the line with my right hand.
This keeps my light from going up and down and up and down.

On ascents, I just stop, adjust bouyancy and then continue. It makes for a nice slow ascent.

I try to do as much as possible with the reel and light in the left hand. Leaving my right hand free for air sharing.

While I haven't used this to shoot bags yet...I would do it the same as On exit(read above). I use spools for my liftbags.

The best all around thing I can suggest is a good team member keeping tension and watching your placements and tie offs.

FYI I used the Dive Rite reels for about a year before the EE one. I used it the same way. The only difference was that you tend to use the same fingers to keep tension on the line on either hand.

Originally posted by Campana
I broke my Dive Rite primary reel. The spool part broke, with one side breaking loose from the center spindle.

Same thing happened to my Dive Rite reel. I have yet to get it replaced/fixed yet though. I might just keep it how it is, buy a new reel, and then use the line on the DR for spare line for spools.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom