Integrated weights falling out

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

missnaomibird

Registered
Reaction score
Hello divers all

Just a question for those who might have some experience in this.

Just bought a SeaQuest Diva LX, went on holiday and out of 20 dives integrated weights fell out - TWICE.

First time I thought must be user error, suspected maybe I caught the arm of my wetsuit on the velcro and unlocked the weights.

Checked with friend who has the same BCD she said I was putting them in right.

The second time was on the surface where I know my arms were no where near the weight toggle as I was holding a rope.

This has made me slightly worried. Spoke to supplier who said he can 'rough up' the velcro a bit so it sticks more but i just don't think this is a problem as the velcro seems very strong anyway.

Has anyone experienced a similar thing? I wonder whether the BCDs design is somehow defective?

Just worried as obviously doesn't make for very relaxing diving when you are constantly paranoid that your weight it about to fall out!!

Any answers gratefully received

Thanks

Naomi

You might want to upgrade to a Zeagle ZENA....weights falling out probably not such a good thing!

Here some info of the Zeagle site:

"The Zena BC, however, has been designed by women as a buoyancy system specifically for women. The twin straps adjust to fit waist and hips independently, while the elastic front panels provide outstanding fit and comfort. Zeagle's patented PFS sizing system allows for the waist size, chest size, and torso length to be independently fitted. The Zena is designed to be fitted with the upper waistband at the natural waist, placing the weights and buoyancy low, around the body's center of buoyancy.

The Zena closes in the front with a heavy-duty zipper for a snug and secure, yet non-restrictive fit. A ripcord release weight system is standard."

Hope this helps....

missnaomibird:
Hello divers all

Just a question for those who might have some experience in this.

Just bought a SeaQuest Diva LX, went on holiday and out of 20 dives integrated weights fell out - TWICE.

[snip]

Any answers gratefully received

Thanks

Naomi

I used to have them fall out of my Seaquest BC (circa 1999) on an irritatingly frequent basis, and would have hoped they'd gotten past that problem by now.

I haven't had that problem since I switched to a Backplate and wing.

I had that issue numerous times with the dacor rig 3. I ended up sitting down with my local LDS owner and we designed a system for quick release though they where securely attached and would not fall out again. we sewed on some extra webing and used the clicps from back packs to make sure the weight stayed. You cna try that out if seaquest wont help. I did mine because dacor is pretty much non existent and the rig is still in mint condition to warrent me buying a new one.

You hear this too often. Integrated weights held in by velcro seem to be problematic in general. I think velcro is a fundamantally flawed design for this and prefer some kind of positive connection like a quick release buckle. My girlfriend has some other WI integrated BC that uses velcro and seems to lose them for no good reason. Velcro doesn't stick as well if it gets dirty and it does wear out, though she lost a pouch on one of it's first few dives before there was a chance for either to happen.

IMO, using velcro to hold weights in is a bad idea. It's an especially bad idea if the opening is pointed down when in horizontal position. I've recovered more lost pouches than I can count not to mention the times I grabbed the diver and the falling pouch to reunite them. I only lost one myself and never used that silly junk again....diving along one second and heading for the surface the next with nothing that I could do about it.

When I had a dive shop I spent lots of energy telling the manufacturers that their designes were dangerous junk especially when they ragged on me about not selling certain items. I'll never forget when the idiot genesis rep walked in and showed me the new bc's that solved the velcro problem...after he had previously argued that there was no problem.

Miss, if you are putting 10 or more lbs in the pouches you will continue to have problems. Do you have wing pouches as well on that bc? If so, try shifting some weight to them.

I had that problem when I first started diving, lost one weight pouch, when I had to put 10 in each pouche but when I got down to 5 and 4 lbs in those side puches I had no problem

Hello Naomi,

welcome (Scub)aBoard! :happywave

Even though my BCD could take integrated weights I never used, always a weightbelt.

Laurens

BTW, I see you posted this in the BCD forum too. There's no need to: if you use the New Posts link, all new posts are shown regardless of their location.

Back
Top Bottom