I Just Need A Yes Or No...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Erik Il Rosso

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
1) I use mainly single 15 Litres steel (very rarely 18 Litres steel) and in the tropics 12 Litres aluminium...
2) I dive with a 7 mm semi dry suit (Cressi Ice Man) or a 3 mm suit in the tropics...
3) Maximum depth 40 metres...
4) My weight is 100 Kg....
5) Do not plan to go deeper, do not plan to use double, do not plan do dive dry in the near future...

Having said this...

I would like to buy a Transpac + Travel Wings, right choice or not ???

Ciao Erik Il Rosso

Dive Rite

A simple yes or no is only going to get peoples personal opinions without any of the thought behind it.

However my reaction is NO unless.....

You are sure that the travel wing provides sufficient lift for your choice of suit, cylinders and weight requirements (I'd be concerned about 18L steel and a 7mm)

You have tried the set up and know that you like to dive in it

I have nothing against the transpac although I have personally changed to a backplate and harness set up and wish I had done so years ago.

And what about Transpac + Rec Wings ???

Better ???

Ciao Erik Il Rosso

No. Why not invest in a system (equally priced) that would give you better fit and stability. There are endless choices out there vs. a I'm stupid pac.

My suggestion:

SS backplate
Hogarthian harness (adjustable harness is ok too if you prefer)
30 - 40 lb wing with built in STA (like a DSS single tank rig)

This is getting into personal preference, but a bp/w system is simple, easy to customize, and can be a little less expensive. I am not a big fan of the fancy harness systems (like the Transpac) with all the padding and qd buckles. The one piece hog harness is the easiest to don/doff and is the most comfortable in my opinion.

Erik Il Rosso:
And what about Transpac + Rec Wings ???

Better ???

Ciao Erik Il Rosso

If you are only going to dive singles but want more lift than the travel wing, I would try the trek wing. It gives 40lbs / 18 kgs lift, where the travel wing is only 30 lbs / 14 kgs. It is smaller than the rec wing, so it is less likely to wrap around the tank. I dive the Transpac and trek wing and I love it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom