Aqua Lung Black Diamond BCD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am new to diving and I am considering purchasing this BCD, but likeI said earlier I would like to have an opinions on this BCD before I purchase this item. It looks as it will be able to support all of my diving experiences from novice to expert and could be the proper BCD if I absolutely decide to advance to deep diver or even dive master. Please if you would please give some helpful advise.

Welcome to the board!

If your set on expanding your diving horizons then you should consider a BP/W (back plate and wing) setup right now so you avoid buying one later and regreting your jacket BCD purchase...There are alot of good guys on here who can give you the whole low down on them if your interested.

Welcome to the board!! If you are not interested in a bp/w setup I have the Seaquest Balance, I find it to be a great back inflate with less clutter than the Black Diamond. Just my 2 cents. Good luck, see if your LDS will let you try what ever you are thinking about buying, its what I did.

NathanielWest:
I am new to diving and I am considering purchasing this BCD, but likeI said earlier I would like to have an opinions on this BCD before I purchase this item. It looks as it will be able to support all of my diving experiences from novice to expert and could be the proper BCD if I absolutely decide to advance to deep diver or even dive master. Please if you would please give some helpful advise.

Nathaniel: Note all 3 replys suggest you look at a bp/w. Here on ScubaBoard the bp/w crowd tries real hard to influence peoples decisions. They try so hard to convience people to buy a bp/w it's almost like it's the only way they know to try and validate their own purchase.

We've been on 2 week long dive trips the last 4 months and the the last one was a liveaboard. That trip report is in the General Central and South America forum. I would guess we saw some 40 divers between those trips yet we only saw 2 bp/w rigs. One on the liveaboard and one while in Cozumel.

Interestingly, there was a Dive shop owner on the liveaboard. We were talking about gear and I asked him if he carried bp/w's. He laughed and said no, I'm not interested in going back to a setup we couldn't wait to get out of 15-20 years ago when jacket style bc's started taking over the market.

You don't indicate where you live but if you are predominately a cold water diver then maybe a bp/w makes some sense for you. Otherwise, use your own judgement and don't let yourself be too influenced by the dominating bp/w crowd here at SB. They are the vocal minority.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=122163

Don,
It's funny you brought that up about the dive shop owner. My first BC was a Scubapro bcp given to me by my instructor/shop owner 20 some years ago. Other divers would slam me for wearing it. Fast forward 20 years and every place that I have dove I'm the only diver with a BP/W and divers slam me for wearing it. Go figure!!

Nathaniel,
Aqualung makes quality products, you are the only one that can decide what fits best for you. It will easily support your diving experiences.

NathanielWest:
Hi
The Black Diamond was the last BC I wore before changing to a backplate and wing. Before that, I briefly owned a Balance, and regretted changing to the Black diamond.

The Balance is nice and small and packs well. The chest is relatively open and free of clutter. The Black diamond took me in the opposite direction. Also the BD is a big unit to pack.

If I were set on getting a traditional BC (and back inflate) I'd go with the Balance. However, If you plan on diving dry, the weight pouches of the Balance will probably not hold enough lead. You'll need a weight belt.

The choice between BP/W or jacket BC is certainly a preference thing. Bottom line: which ever you decide on, if you get a high quality piece of gear, chances are you'll be very satisfied.

Rap

The first BC I bought was a Black Diamond and I still use it to dive off NJ or when in a 7 mil wetsuit. Its a rugged BC with a lot of rings and pockets and having the wing in the back just feels more comfortable to me as I am 6-3, 215 lbs. On the other hand I also have a Balance which is my warm water travel BC due to it's size and weight ( all these airlines are maxing luggage at 50 lbs even on International flights ) and am not ready to give up either BC at present.

Don Janni:
Nathaniel: Note all 3 replys suggest you look at a bp/w. Here on ScubaBoard the bp/w crowd tries real hard to influence peoples decisions. They try so hard to convience people to buy a bp/w it's almost like it's the only way they know to try and validate their own purchase.
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=122163

Hostility? I suggested that he "consider" a BP/W since I originally purchased a BCD when I was in his shoes and have since recently purchased a BP/W...Just throwing it out there for him to consider. But no its not the only way I validate my purchase...I will arm wrestle you to prove that my BP/W is far superior to any BCD!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom