Suunto Stinger Dies Going Through Airport Security

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OE2X

ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
Last night at 11:41 PM PST I took my 6 month old Stinger off my wrist and sent it through the airport exray machine at Portland International . It has completely locked up and will not change it's reading. I'm hoping that it is similar to a deco violation and that after 24 hours will reset itself. At this point none of the functions work and the screen will not change.

If you have any ideas please PM me as I am out of the country and have limited email response.

Hard boot. Remove the battery, wait a couple minutes, then replace it. Just a guess, but it's something to try after it's still stuck after 24 hours. Hopefully, it isn't a fault where the LCD drive waveform has stopped, because that will sometimes cause permanent burn-in on the LCD.
(also sent by PM)

thats what I was thinking, but mine like that you have to send to Suunto for the battery change. Something about the o-ring.

Did anyone get near it with one of those metal detector hand scanners? We had several pieces of electronic magnetic media computer equipment damaged/destroyed after they used the hand scanners on them.

Well... if it's only 6 months old, at least I think you'd be able to at least get a warranty replacement from Suunto?

Looking at it right now. How do I pull the battery from it?

mike_s:
Did anyone get near it with one of those metal detector hand scanners? We had several pieces of electronic magnetic media computer equipment damaged/destroyed after they used the hand scanners on them.

Well... if it's only 6 months old, at least I think you'd be able to at least get a warranty replacement from Suunto?
No it went through the x-ray machine instead. It also locked up 2 hours before getting on the plane.

well, the girl method would be to put it underwater. and shake it a little.

I'm downloading the manual right now.

drop it from 3 feet. If that doesnt work, give it to me

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom