humpback whale tours

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lynnemari

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have read some posts here about the rough waters around kauai. Is it usually rough in April too? Did we pick a bad time to go? We also wanted to see the whales which I understand them to still be there? is that right?
thanks Lynne

We are going to kauai April 1st. Will the humpback whales still be there? Which tour company is best to go with. and where do you go to see the monk seals?
thanks Lynne

Can't answer about who to go out with, but when I was there in January we were snorkeling and could hear the whales singing. It was very cool :)

Whale season is supposed to be from Nov-May. They came a bit late this year...it is hard to say, but your chances are better than if you came in May.

lynnemari:
We are going to kauai April 1st. Will the humpback whales still be there? Which tour company is best to go with. and where do you go to see the monk seals?
thanks Lynne
I don't know if things work the same way up in Kauai, but here in Maui I tell the tourists to not to bother booking a whale watch tour until after they've gone snorkeling or diving at Molokini. Most of the time they'll get up close to whales on the ride to and from Molokini. Sunset cocktail or dinner cruises most of the time also effectlvely do double duty as whale watch tours around Maui.

Just a thought, but if you are planning on doing snorkel, dive, or sunset cruises you could call them up and ask about how likely you are to get up close to whales on those activities in Kauai.

Aloha Lynne, You've picked a fine time I would tell you (though I am a bit biased as a DM/Instructor on the island). Not to split hairs - but the water isnt really rougher than the other islands. The difference is that Kauai's primary diving is on the south shore (not the leeward side like the other islands i.e. West Maui, Kona on Big Isle). For this reason - if the trades are blowing...well, you're in them. South swells arent likely to be an issue for you in early April though and most boats do short runs to about 20 different sites out of Poipu. Many of the Humpbacks will have begun their return to Alaska - but you should still have the opportunity to see some - and perhaps hear them underwater! The last of the Humpbacks are usually seen as late as early May though they are typically near or at Niihau. Hope this helps ya out!

We are going to Kauai April 1st for a week. Is it better to book a whale watching tour on line now or wait till we get there? I have looked aroung the web a bit and have seen prices from $60.00 to $100.00 plus why such a varience? and any reccomendations to which company to use, the one for $60.00 was captain Zodiac? Any other tours you might suggest also would be great. Our main activity ( hopefully ) will be the diving.:D

lynnemari
Take the helicopter tour. I live on the big island & am jaded, and I still loved the helicopter tour on Kauai. We used Jack Hart and have nothing critical to say about them. I am a photographer so we took the doors off the chopper, which may not be fun for everybody, and they did a great job of dropping in close to the waterfalls.

Donnyb is right about the helicopter tour. It's amazing. My suggestion is to book a Napali boat trip. You get the best of everything. 100's of spinner dolphins, turtles, (hopefully some great snorkeling), and in my opinion your best chance of seeing whales late in season is in the channel between Niihau and the Napali coast. The Napali coast is also pretty amazing. Blue Dolphin or Holo Holo have big stable cats taking about 49max. Smaller boats (zodiacs) can go into the caves and get closer to shore which is pretty cool. Just depends on what you're lookin for.

Aloha...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom