Changing ascent rate uwatec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jtrain01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does anyone know if the ascent rate is changable on the uwatec pro ultra wrist? The manual hints that it beeps according to your set rate but says nothing on how to change it. Any help would be appreciated.

If you're talking about the same Pro Ultra that I have, the ascent rate is variable, but still set by the computer. It allows faster ascents while deep and slows down near the surface. The manual states if varies from 23 to 67 ft/min depending on depth. Must be one of those metric conversions- 7 to 20 m/min :D

The manual makes you think that you can set it. So i have been going nuts looking for how to set it. Thanks

Yeah that would be fantastic. I have a new alladin Tec and its impossible to use when teaching the CESA in open water courses...screaming like mad even at 18m/min ascents.

jtrain01:
The manual makes you think that you can set it. So i have been going nuts looking for how to set it. Thanks
Why would you want to change the ascent rate from a safe ascent rate?

As far as I can tell with my Uwatec SmartCom, there is no way to change the rate. If the alarm is going off... you're going too fast. Why would you want to go too fast?

ZeaMonkey,
Why don't you buy a simple Uwatec D Timer ? And use your own computer when on non-teaching dives. The simple D timer is cheap, lasts for 4/5 years and should you lose it during a class would be easy and cost effective to replace or do you do something different?

howarde:
Why would you want to change the ascent rate from a safe ascent rate?

As far as I can tell with my Uwatec SmartCom, there is no way to change the rate. If the alarm is going off... you're going too fast. Why would you want to go too fast?

More for my curiosity although sometimes im taking my sweet time ascending and it still seems beep. Wasnt sure if they made the rate super slow as a precaution from the factory.

jtrain01:
More for my curiosity although sometimes im taking my sweet time ascending and it still seems beep. Wasnt sure if they made the rate super slow as a precaution from the factory.

The Pro Ultra is very sensitive to ascent rate. I think that it doesn't have a buffer and gives you ascent info in "real time". If I raise my arm to look at my gauge, it could beep. As howarde writes, this is a good thing!

Now the usual disclaimer about following advice on the internet and a bit of mumbling about deco modeling and using whatever ascent rate is assumed in the model, yada yada yada.

If I not mistaken, you can't change the safety ascent rate? maybe rise up you arms too fast.

jtrain01:
As noted earlier. The ascent rate is variable between 67' per minute to 23' per minute. Obviously, the shallower you go, the lower the ascent rate is. Uwatec is very conservative on the ascent rate. It does take time to get used to. I've used my SmartCom for 120 dives, and I STILL look at the screen on every ascent, and try to keep it below 100% - But since I realize that a slight change could set the alarm off momentarily.

As "do it easy" said... The ascent rate is very sensetive as well, if you are in a horizontal position, and go vertical, it could set off the alarm, or if you wear the computer on your wrist, and raise your arms quickly, you WILL set off the alarm. Try not to be annoyed by it... Remember some people dive in places without visual reference, so it's just a friendly beep saying, "hey... you're going up too fast" - some people may not even notice they're going up at all, until they hear the beeping.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom