"Safety" velcro watch strap?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pfriedel

Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to get rid of the cheesy rubber strap on my Vyper with something that's less likely to have me scouring the silt for my own watch if a pin breaks. I can _picture_ the velcro band, but I can't remember the name, and the almighty Google has fallen flat on every search term I can think of. Feel free to pipe in with any other wrist-based mounting solutions that aren't as fragile as the standard strap arrangement, for that matter.

Also, vaguely related, if I replace the band, is there a good reason to keep the boot on the computer, or can I ditch that, too?

Lil' help? I'll bookmark it this time, I promise. :14:

A second vote for Tobin's Vytec mount. I use it and it is great. A lot better than the standard rubber strap.

pfriedel:
I'd like to get rid of the cheesy rubber strap on my Vyper with something that's less likely to have me scouring the silt for my own watch if a pin breaks. I can _picture_ the velcro band, but I can't remember the name, and the almighty Google has fallen flat on every search term I can think of. Feel free to pipe in with any other wrist-based mounting solutions that aren't as fragile as the standard strap arrangement, for that matter.

Also, vaguely related, if I replace the band, is there a good reason to keep the boot on the computer, or can I ditch that, too?

Lil' help? I'll bookmark it this time, I promise. :14:

A 'quick and dirty' method is the old 'rubber band' solution...

Take a heavy duty rubber band and tie it on the wrist strap buckle (you know, pass a small loop of the rubber band through the buckle, then pass the rest of the rubber band through the small loop, and pull it tight). Then when you put the computer on your wrist, put the rubber band on first, and then fasten the wrist strap.

That way if either pin in the wrist strap breaks, the comp. is still attached to your wrist by the rubber band.

You could do something similar with surgical tubing, if you want something better than the rubber band.

If nothing else this could provide a temporary solution while your looking for something you like better....

I use the "quick and dirty" method listed above, too. Instead of using a rubber band, I use an elastic pony tail holder.

miesemer:
Are you thinking of the Waterborne watch strap?

Yep, that's the one. Thought it was a velcro closure and not a clasp, though. I'll have to reconsider the elastromeric mount linked in this thread - trading a failure of a pin for a failure of the clasp doesn't seem like that great of an advantage. Unless if the way you thread the excess prevents a clasp failure from dropping the watch as surely as a pin failure. Hrm.

Also Cetacea carries velcro watch straps

I have Wet-Willies referenced Deep Sea (link) mount for both my Vyper as well as my compass. The bungee can be stretched over my dry glove wrist ring or have an extra knot added so as it snugly fits my wrist over a wetsuit. For me, a good solution to the long dangling wrist strap when warm water diving. It remains compatible for cold water diving too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom