Need Watch/dive computer recomendations for a gift

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mrs. IndyDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I want to get him a watch that will log his dives and can be transmitted to his PC or MAC.

I was origianally thinking something w/ a metal band but after searching these forums I have decided a strap would be best.

I have googled till my eyes have fallen out. There is just way to many watches out there and often I cannot find any reviews. I have read some of the post in this section but I do not have time to go through all of them. So I am making my own post.

I am willing to spend up to $500 but would like to stay around $300.

Here is a little about my hubby which may help w/ suggestions on what watch is best.

He's a computer tech. He supports Macs at work but only has a PC at home...for now. (i'd buy him a mac but thats way out of my limit lol) Anyway, I don't think he'd wear this watch daily and would more than likely only wear it when we dive. We do dive trips about every 6 months or so we plan to anyway. He doesn't like big and bulky watches. This isn't something he'd buy himself and I have no idea if he'll even like it. So returnable is good. lol

I cannot think of anything else to get him. He'll buy himself pretty much all the gadgets he wants.

I'm lost as to what to get him. :confused: I believe he'll like the watch and deff us it as long it records his dives. He's bad about recording in his dive book. So something that will DL to his PC would be great.

BTW, I need to be able to buy this and have it delived on or before the first of Aug.

Thanks!!!!

I think the Oceanic Geo and the Aeris Manta are solid options. You might also want to take a look at the UWATEC Aladin Prime or Tec. The Prime retails around $425, and the Tec is approx a hundred more. If he is really set on using his Mac they have software called JTrack that will work on it just fine. I'm also a Mac fan, but I suspect I may end up booting into Windows to log my dives since the software Windows side is 'better' from what I've heard. There really isn't much out there for software in the way for Macs unfortunately.

It should also be noted that if you want to transfer files to a computer from the watch you will probably need to buy either a cable or USB dongle. Oceanic sells a cable/CD package that retails for around $100, and ScubaPro UWATEC sells or requires a specific USB IR dongle you can buy some regular retail ones, but only two others have been approved by ScubaPro to be fully compatible. Although, most Mac's have IR built in, so they may not require it - depends on compatibility. I will be testing this on my Mac since I'm purchasing a Prime myself this week.

Great advice! Since I am not tech savy picking out the perfect watch will be hard. I think he'll like either one of those watches and I may very well go ahead and order one.

I am going to a few local dive shops today to see what they have in store. I hope I get lucky and find one of these and avoid shipping.

I leave for a business trip to San Fran Sat morn and won't be back until the day after his bday. He cannot come along due to not being able to get off from work. Otherwise I would be paying for his trip to San Fran, where he's never been and I wouldn't be scrambling for a gift last minute.

Any other suggestions? I'll check back before I head out to the dive shops. I will more than likely not buy until tomorrow. So keep the suggestions rolling.

Thanks everyone!

Get him a Suunto D6. Great computer looks pretty good as a watch.

Cheers.

-J.-

aquaticmatt:
Mrs. IndyDiver,

As pointed out above, you would need the USB cables to download to a PC. Good news is that with the Geo or Manta, they come with the computer/watch at the price I mentioned.:)

Good luck!!

OHHHH.... Thanks for pointing that out. I overlooked that! Well, I am going to at least look at them at the shop. I would like to see what I am buying in person....lol I believe I am going to go w/ one of them that you suggested. I have been googling and I cannot find anything that is a better deal than that. Especially now that I know the cables come w/ it.

Thanks again!

Have you looked at the Mares Nemo watches? They are in my oppinion the nicest looking dive computer out there. But that's just my oppinion...:coffee:
product_detail.php

Hope this helps!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom