Getting my 11 y/o into diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I never did a Discovery Dive with my kids, but both were certified young (10 years old). Their experiences, however, were a bit different.

I absolutely had the desire that they would want to dive when they were old enough. I tried to foster interest via age appropriate books, videos, etc. from an early age. We have a pool, so they were both taking survival swim lessons before they could walk. My plan worked. Both did express the desire to get certified, and both are very comfortable in the water. Comfort in the water is key to enjoyment.

My oldest daughter actively expressed interest from the time she was 5 and never wavered. She took to it like a natural. Zero fear and was clearly ahead of the rest of the students in the class.

My youngest was a bit more hesitant. She absolutely wanted to learn to dive, but she sometimes gets in her head and gets anxious before the event. For her, it was a bit more of taking small steps. Every new thing was a bit frightening for her. She had no problem with any of the pool skills, but had to be talked into the open water checkouts. Checkouts were done in FL springs. First day was the hardest, then it was easier. Same thing when we did an ocean dive the first time. She did not want to descend. I got her to start the dive by ensuring her that she would be in control. I told her that we would just descend to the bottom and I would ask her if she wanted to come up. If she did, we would end the dive. When we got to the bottom, I inquired like I said, and she waved me off. She just needed a gentle nudge to get past that first step.

As part of an upcoming trip to Cozumel, I’m planning to sign my 11 y/o son up for a discovery dive, in the hopes he’ll take to the hobby like I did and be able to build a diving resume much earlier in life than I. He really enjoys swimming, has developed some basic underwater skills such as mask management, and seems to have an interest in marine life.

The catch, however, is that he seems to occasionally freeze when he is afraid or unsure what to do, and while he has an interest in marine life, he has expressed (irrational) fears about fish and coral. I’m pleased to say he recently had a “close encounter” with a fish (I couldn’t tell you what it was, but it wasn’t any bigger than 8” long) and, despite being afraid, told me he pushed through his fear.

My concern is that, even within the restrictions of a discovery dive, I may be playing with fire by putting him in a situation he isn’t mature enough to handle. I’m well aware there are less than reputable operations out there that have no ethical qualms about tossing an inexperienced individual into a situation they aren’t equipped to handle.

To anyone with first or second hand “discovery dive” experience - is this a safe option for my son, or should I wait until I feel he is better able to regulate his emotions and handle complex situations calmly?
start them with snorkeling for sure

none of my business but imho, 11 yrs old is too young to be diving. just my opinion.

as an instructor i was involved in some pool sessions where young kids were exposed to scuba, but refused to teach anyone that young.
11 y.o is probably the most wrong age. You either start much earlier (my sons both started in the pool with their small tank at 2.5 y.old, and in the sea , in Sardinia, around 5 y.old).
Or wait he is already 14 or more.
Of course, starting very yearly requires a special instructor for young ages (my wife is, for ages 3 and up).
You also need proper equipment, which mostly we assembled ourself, as no commercial kits exist for children below 8 years.
So, as you did not start early, now it is better to wait.
As other suggested, go snorkeling, so he gets accustomed to sea life and scenarios, and perhaps start some free diving if you see he is comfortable removing the snorkel and staying underwater for more than 30s.
Of course, for free diving at more than 1m depth, you must teach him how to equalise (which probably is better learned in a 2m-deep pool).
Wait giving him an air tank that he is fully accustomed to water, capable of removing the mask underwater and replace it in position, and evacuate water from it, remove fins and put them on again, remove and replace the snorkel and evacuate it, etc.
Better to spend 20-30 hours minimum breathing underwater in a pool, before attempting a "discover dive" in the sea.
Children learn very slowly, and they need time for being comfortable in an hostile environment.

11 y.o is probably the most wrong age. You either start much earlier (my sons both started in the pool with their small tank at 2.5 y.old, and in the sea , in Sardinia, around 5 y.old).
Keep in mind. Your situation is unique. None of the certifying agencies will even consider it before 10. Your sons had the benefit of instructor parents.

I do partially agree. If we are talking about an 11 year old with limited water exposure, then a Discover Dive would be a bit much. There is no one size fits all in this. As evidenced by the very different experiences with my two daughters. Both, however, had very strong water skills. They were already comfortable in the water, so adding Scuba skills was relatively easy.

Thinking back a bit, I believe my youngest's initial anxiety had to do with not being able to see the bottom. Ocean was clear, but bottom was just out of view. Here checkouts were in Devil's Den which is clear, but relatively dark due to it being underground.

Keep in mind. Your situation is unique. None of the certifying agencies will even consider it before 10. Your sons had the benefit of instructor parents.
No agency will certify before age 10, but many will allow scuba experiences in a pool before age 10. When my grandson was certified at age 10, it was after a number of in-pool scuba experiences.

That may be the best way to start. See if an operator near you provides pool-only discover scuba. Where I first taught, those were really popular with children that age. We had many a discover scuba birthday party.

Don't schedule the discovery dive. Snorkel with him. If he gets into it, which is very likely, and you can see he's not freaking out, you can ask him if he wants you to sign him up.

very good plan, emphasis on asking him if he feels ready and willing to dive.

No agency will certify before age 10, but many will allow scuba experiences in a pool before age 10. When my grandson was certified at age 10, it was after a number of in-pool scuba experiences..
True. Good point. Several agencies do offer Bubble Blower, Scuba Rangers, or some other variant of that at least a few years before the 10th birthday.

My usual 2 psi is that 11 is way too young for scuba. The actions that you describe by your son
kinda proves my point. I also don't like Discovery Dives because even if the required ratios of instructor
to students ARE followed, I feel anything more that 1 to 1 is risky (suppose one bolts to the surface, what does the instructor do-- go after him or stay with the other student(s) on the bottom? Either way, someone is left unsupervised. Many will disagree on both of my points.

Every kid, like every adult is different. Respect those differences with compassion and understanding and everything will work out exactly the way it is supposed to.

But yeah, I'm rooting for a diver, too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom