Bought an Oceanic Dive Computer at an estate sale. What model is this, and is it worth what I paid?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sonnykifer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
(Pictures attached)

Hey guys! Title is self explanatory. I was at an estate sale and saw something billed as a “diving wrist watch”. It turned out to be a very well-used Oceanic Computer with no other accessories, manuals, etc.

I ended up buying it for $45, which I think is a good price for my first computer. To be fair, I’ve used a Shearwater before and this thing is not even close to how nice that one was, but I figured <$50 was a good price so I picked it up.

Thing is, I don’t know much about diving computers or how they are maintained. I noticed some corrosion (I think?) on the battery. I don’t think it will be hard to replace that. Otherwise, it has definitely seen better days. The case had a rubber coat that is peeling off. It doesn’t look like waterproofing material of any kind. The plastic doesn’t look to be cracked in spots essential to the computer itself, just the housing that holds the computer to the strap.

First time posting on here, hope I’m following all the rules. Let me know if I bought a brick or if I got a sweet deal. And I’m always up for being educated about these types of things, so let me know!

Attachments

• IMG_9573.jpeg
    IMG_9573.jpeg
    124.2 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_9581.jpeg
    IMG_9581.jpeg
    70.5 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_9580.jpeg
    IMG_9580.jpeg
    95.2 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_9577.jpeg
    IMG_9577.jpeg
    100.8 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_9578.jpeg
    IMG_9578.jpeg
    112.8 KB · Views: 160
I'd clean the battery compartment with rubbing alcohol and thoroughly dry it before replacing the battery.

Any model number information on it, or model name? The "first generation" of dive computers were dangerously bad. If it's made in the last 20 years, you're likely fine. This one generally looks relatively new-ish, but I'd want to check it out to know for sure. ( I've not used Oceanic computers, so don't know what their line has looked like.)

Hate to say it, but it might not be much of a deal: Oceanic Data Plus Dive Computer Watch

The only thing I could find was the serial number (T05767) and the text “US Pat. NO. 5.156.655” which leads to the patent for the air integration. Patent was filed in May 1999.

Looks to me to a basic Pelagic puck similar to the Sherwood Source / Re-Source or the USD Matrix. Not Nitrox compatible. Should be user changeable CR2032 batt. I'd definitely swap out the batt and check and lube the hatch o-ring before diving. I have a few of these that are all over 20 years old and work perfectly. I use one for backup depth data in case of a failure of my primary AI computer...

colnlBL.jpg

The only thing I could find was the serial number (T05767) and the text “US Pat. NO. 5.156.655” which leads to the patent for the air integration. Patent was filed in May 1999.
With air integration (apparently via transmitter) I think you'll be fine as long as it works. That suggests it's relatively modern.

Second hand story, but in the mid to late 1980's I heard about a guy who loved his new dive computer, but couldn't figure out why he kept getting bent....

Looks to me to a basic Pelagic puck similar to the Sherwood Source / Re-Source or the USD Matrix. Not Nitrox compatible. Should be user changeable CR2032 batt. I'd definitely swap out the batt and check and lube the hatch o-ring before diving. I have a few of these that are all over 20 years old and work perfectly. I use one for backup depth data in case of a failure of my primary AI computer...

colnlBL.jpg
Maybe a dumb question, but I keep seeing pictures of these things outside of any kind of housing/strap assembly. What are the odds I could find a housing to replace the one that’s pretty destroyed? Is there some kind of universal holder?

Maybe a dumb question, but I keep seeing pictures of these things outside of any kind of housing/strap assembly. What are the odds I could find a housing to replace the one that’s pretty destroyed? Is there some kind of universal holder?
There are some 3rd-party mounts for some computers, but I've never seen one for a VT Pro, which is what I think you have. It might be close enough to fit. For example: Oceanic - VTX Computer Bungee Mount Kit. In general, search for "computer bungee mounts".

The "first generation" of dive computers were dangerously bad. If it's made in the last 20 years, you're likely fine.

Second hand story, but in the mid to late 1980's I heard about a guy who loved his new dive computer, but couldn't figure out why he kept getting bent....

I had some Suunto companions accompany me on deco dives in the 90s and we got on well with no incidents

I found them a good addition to the brain, but not a replacement

And are Non deco computers, that I still use on many dives today

I am building some new old gear, for new environments at the moment
Opened a box to build a couple of consoles and one was blinking at me

023.JPG

"Take me!!!" "Take me!!!"

The grey Aladdin Pro with no SOLDERED IN battery from the market for $12 was like six Christmases at once

NOT HOLIDAYS CHRISTMASES!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom