Experienced diver wants a new computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marc78

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi all,
I am in the market for a new gadget.
A little background
Past computer was a grey Square Aladin which I bought new, so that might sow my age.
15 years ago, when they came out I bought a Galileo Terra (fully unlocked) to replace that. 10 years ago I bought a broken strap empty battery tec2g for 20 euro as a gamble second hand. It showed off to be a great buy and its been an excellent back-up. 5 years ago my dad quit diving for medical reasons(age) and gave me his Galileo SOL air integrated. The terra moved to back-up and the tec2g moved to my drysuit pocket. I have been the instructor with 2 computers "2? wow!"
For some reason I put of A.I. all this time and planned my air-dive, watched my gauge and did the third rule etc. But having used the Sol for some time (onlzy a few dives) I did like seeing the air pressure on the screen. Never tried difficult dives with it.
And then I had kids, instructing stopped, diving slowed down. I never felt the urge to get fully into the tech diving, do have Nitrox certs. Because I plainly cannot find the time to move myself to places I can use trimix, same goes for rebreathers, I find it a way to big investment in my kit for the fun dives I do. Very interesting this tech diving and I do read about this, but 10k for a reabreater on a 20m dive I can do with air or nitrox, No thanks. I have seen the industry change from divers to spenders, hobby-hoppers with big budget and simple kit was not good enough. I have been the diver with the old car, good kit that I abused for ears untill it fell apart (like the straps for my galileoˋs again) and then find a bargain with a closedown sales of a shop that went bankrupt or something like that.

So now what do I need from a Computer:
1 Reliability. (known brand, not some new chinese-these are great but will not support you-fancy stuff)
2 Long battery life (simple) rechargable or exchangable, preferably the latter.
3 Easy to read, those galileo had a massive screens and my eyes are not getting younger - they had light but now there are color screens, how does that affect the battery?
4 Buhlman, I think, as I might use my terra as back-up again.( please do not make this a rgbm vs buhlman thread)
5 I do not want to see code 505 on my screen when I f-up, get me safe out of the water instead, but not as the first one.
6 bluetooth, I felt bad when windows stopped supporting IR and I could no longer read out my dives. (any cheap tips to get them out)
7 I do not need CCR TRIMIX per definition and will not use this, don´t mind if it is included.
8 do I need Air Integration?
9 I was thinking about 500 Euro and I know Air Integration will bring it 300 up.
10 pre-war prices, where can I get them? did I mention budget - kids cost a lot too

Interesting computers I have seen so far:
Scubapro Luna 2 has AI but screen seems dim - a computer in line with what I currently own. No reviews found so far
Shearwater Peregine. Heard a lot about reliability and support of this brand, too bad there is no option for air. Yes the other one doe shave that but then I need to look at the price.
Galileo G2 on the more expensive side and, a little older, again in the line of what I have
Apeks DSX - fairly new & packed with options. expensive, they used to have a great computer when I bought the terra.
Aqualung i770r, looks nice but unfamiliar with their computers and do not know owners. Could be in the same camp of Mares & Cressi, which I would skip.
Suunto Eon - plenty of features. RGBM which also is re-known for workable in fundive situations, I heard very conservative and not that great support.
Would a vyper novo still do the trick? itś an oldy- see above EON but if you can find them with a POD they are about 500

Looking for feedback - tips and alternatives

According to your statement, I'd say a second hand Shearwater Peregrine is your weapon of choice. I say second hand because brand new, it's a bit above 500 € (in France at least).

About the Suunto Eon : have you ever tried a Suunto computer ? The interface is really different from other computers, some find it convenient, other don't. As far fas RGBM is concerned, it's more conservative (some say punishing) than the Bühlmann ZHL16, so you might not like it.

Your gonna hate this decision, the sheer number of options these days is mental.
So to make your decisions even worse, you could look at an Italian company called Ratio, they would tick all your boxes. Been using the Idive Easy and very happy with it, and their tech support has been fine to date.

I've dived the Shearwater line for a decade or more, had roughly 30 Peridx in various flavors pass through my hands, and all of my teammates and students dive them. In terms of reliability, phenomenal customer service, and re-sale value, anything made by Shearwater would be my first choice. The haptic feedback and displays on the Perdix 2 are simply phenomenal.

In terms of reliability, phenomenal customer service, and re-sale value, anything made by Shearwater would be my first choice. The haptic feedback and displays on the Perdix 2 are simply phenomenal.
I get that service in the US is good but OP is in the EU and the service here is pretty bad (pricey and slow). In my experience the SW aren't that reliable either and I think they're overhyped on Scubaboard.

If you aren't sure about the LUNA 2.0 AI, I'd consider the Ratio iX3M 2. It is the best value with all of the features you want or may want in the future at a very competitive price. You can start with their entry level model, it will satisfy all of your recreational needs, and upgrade the firmware to more technical models by paying a license fee to unlock the added features as you need them. Your investment is protect for many years to come. They also just came out with a GPS version that is very useful for when you are swimming on the surface to get to the drop down point or even on a dingy or DPV/scooter trying to get to a specific drop down spot:

I have been using it since 2017 (and friends use it too). Easy to read, super easy to navigate menu, very customizable, awesome screen that is readable even in VERY bright daylight. Price is very competitive (GPS model is more expensive than without but is still very reasonable compared with competition). There is no other dive computer that gives you this much at these prices.

Go Shearwater Perdix II and don't look back.

If AI isn't a requirement, i can 100% recommend the Shearwater Peregrine:
-nice display
-induction charger
-bluetooth
-air, eanx and a custom 3-gas-mode
-very reliable, good resale value
-Bühlmann with customizable GF

otherwise the Perdix.

Vyper Novo: Would NOT recommend.
After the pressure sensor failed (on warranty, but 2 month wait time), the display failed shortly after the warranty ended.

And the SW will never lock you out, unlike the Suunto...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom