Bought an Oceanic Dive Computer at an estate sale. What model is this, and is it worth what I paid?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Definitely does look like a VT Pro. They are going for more than double what you paid on EBay.

As you mentioned, that boot is toast. Soak it in warm/hot water. Hot from the tap should be sufficient. It will soften that up. The strap lugs aren’t part of the boot, so you don’t really need the boat. Count on replacing the strap as well.

You’ll probably need the battery tool to change the battery and o-ring. A search for “Oceanic Battery tool” will point you to it. Pretty cheap.

Maybe a dumb question, but I keep seeing pictures of these things outside of any kind of housing/strap assembly. What are the odds I could find a housing to replace the one that’s pretty destroyed? Is there some kind of universal holder?
These pucks were originally made to sit in a console or on a wrist mount.... I use them as backups and simply buckle the wrist mount to available d-ring on my Back inflate BC.

XJNpyiK.jpg

SablG6w.jpg

These pucks were originally made to sit in a console or on a wrist mount.... I use them as backups and simply buckle the wrist mount to available d-ring on my Back inflate BC.

XJNpyiK.jpg

SablG6w.jpg
It is not a puck.

Hi @sonnykifer

I agree with @tursiops looks like a VT Pro. Does it say VT Pro to the right of the operating button on the front?

The Oceanic battery tool is readily available from Oceanic, DRIS, others
1705779487124.png

I would probably replace the O-ring when replacing the battery. Battery replacement kits including O-ring are available.

I believe the VT Pro, VT 3, and VT 4 all use the same boot and straps. You might contact Dive Again Scuba and ask if they can help you with that. It looks to me that you can replace the wrist straps without a boot, attaching them directly to the computer.

I am still diving an Oceanic VT 3 that I bought in 2010 that now has 1904 dives and 2003 hours on it, works perfectly.

Good luck, let us know how you do.

I am 99% certain that is a VT Pro. They are excellent little air/nitrox computers and have hoseless Ai capability.

With that family of computers, given their age, the wrist straps and boots around the computers are tending to deteriorate.

The good news is that the lugs for the strap are actually attached to the computer itself, not to the boot, and the boot serves no real purpose other than as a bumper.

You can chip away the boot and the strap and put a cheap NATO style wrist band through the strap pins. You can get those on Amazon for under $10. You will need a 24mm strap. I recommend Barton brand.

If you can clean up the battery compartment and if the electronics still function, at $45, you stole it.

Cheers, and enjoy.

I had some Suunto companions accompany me on deco dives in the 90s and we got on well with no incidents

I found them a good addition to the brain, but not a replacement

And are Non deco computers, that I still use on many dives today

I am building some new old gear, for new environments at the moment
Opened a box to build a couple of consoles and one was blinking at me
Good to know. I can't recall when the second generation computers came online. I thought it was the 1990's, but out of caution only went back 20 years for the OP.

It is not a puck.
Yep I get that now,,,, Thanks! It just looked like a puck and quacks like a puck so I thought it was a puck.

Here's the write up for a listing of what appears to be the same computer (though it has manual, new strap etc)

Screenshot_20240122_111744_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20240122_111806_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20240122_111829_Samsung Internet.jpg

Glad to hear I got a sweet deal. I’m gonna call up the estate sale and see if I can find the transmitter… wish me luck, lol.

Anyone have any tips on how to pop it out of the boot without soaking in hot water (since I don’t know if it’s watertight until I replace the battery, and that kit won’t arrive for another few days)?

I’ll post some pics of the computer once I get the strap replaced. Thanks for the heads up on the NATO bands, @arkstorm .

Anyone have any tips on how to pop it out of the boot without soaking in hot water (since I don’t know if it’s watertight until I replace the battery, and that kit won’t arrive for another few days)?
If its at that age where it is deteriorating you can just sort of pick off little chips of the boot with your fingers. Otherwise, the warm water technique is your best option. But if the boot is in good shape, just leave it on there and just cut the straps away from the strap pins and replace just the strap.

Back
Top Bottom