Experienced diver wants a new computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just to add my 2 cents, I've dived both the Ratio IX3M2 and Apeks DSX actively since August. I would actively warn anyone off the Apeks. It bricks itself if it needs a firmware update.

Not great if you're abroad in an area with no internet or their firmware release has a bug. Both situations I encountered. Screen scratched easier than any computer I've ever error owned.

The IX3M2 is much better, but the lack of seconds on deco and safety stops, which is a huge drawback as the sensor is super sensitive and stops counting down at times it shouldnt. This is enough for me to not recommend it either.

I may look at the Heinrich Weikamp OSTC models in addition to SW when I get back. The closest thing to what I want is the Perdix 2, but with rechargeable internal battery like the teric.

You could get the new halcyon one with the trim sensor so it can make you feel bad about your diving :D

The IX3M2 is much better, but the lack of seconds on deco and safety stops, which is a huge drawback as the sensor is super sensitive and stops counting down at times it shouldnt. This is enough for me to not recommend it either.

How is this important to the average diver?

How is the sensor "super sensitive and stops counting down at times..."?

You are exaggerating.

You are exaggerating.
I think this could be an issue for the average diver. Every computer I’ve owned had the seconds included in the safety stop counter. If I were to descend too deep to be out of safety stop range, then I’d know within seconds that it was paused. In addition to the countdown stopping (which I would know in seconds vs up to a minute), there is also an additional indicator to tell me to either ascend or descend.

If the Ratio has at least that indicator, then maybe a bit of an exaggeration. But, there is certainly enough real estate to display seconds. My Perdix does. My much smaller MK2s also found space to display.

You are exaggerating.

From what I read/understood, the "super sensitive" comment is referring to having a <1.0m window. If you stray from that window, the safety stop countdown timer stops counting.

That DOES seem super sensitive, to me.

I *think* what I am used to is that the countdown starts once you ascend to 20'/6m. It continues unless you drop back below 25 or 30'. I'm not sure if it stops at some shallower depth - e.g. you ascend to 10'/3m?

A 3 (or more?) meter window seems much more reasonable than a 1m window. This is a computer for your average recreational, open water diver, right? If not, why even have a safety stop indicator or timer at all? Technical divers will have actual stops, not optional safety stops.

Shearwater, just so easy to use, you can set it very easily to show only the data (as much or as little as) you want, I’m on my 5th one now, (petrel, perdix and nerd) used to be suunto years ago, (and vr3) and did try an eon,,, for a bit, but the shearwater is so easy to read,, even with old man eyes.

Am sure you can find someone to let you try one if you ask about, they’re just a complete game changer, everyone who tries mine buys one..

Just to add my 2 cents, I've dived both the Ratio IX3M2 and Apeks DSX actively since August. I would actively warn anyone off the Apeks. It bricks itself if it needs a firmware update.

Not great if you're abroad in an area with no internet or their firmware release has a bug. Both situations I encountered. Screen scratched easier than any computer I've ever error owned.

I may look at the Heinrich Weikamp OSTC models in addition to SW when I get back. The closest thing to what I want is the Perdix 2, but with rechargeable internal battery like the teric.
I think there you can follow seconds from table view

Attachments

• Zajeta slika.PNG
    Zajeta slika.PNG
    464.1 KB · Views: 33
Hi all,
I am in the market for a new gadget.
A little background
Past computer was a grey Square Aladin which I bought new, so that might sow my age.
15 years ago, when they came out I bought a Galileo Terra (fully unlocked) to replace that. 10 years ago I bought a broken strap empty battery tec2g for 20 euro as a gamble second hand. It showed off to be a great buy and its been an excellent back-up. 5 years ago my dad quit diving for medical reasons(age) and gave me his Galileo SOL air integrated. The terra moved to back-up and the tec2g moved to my drysuit pocket. I have been the instructor with 2 computers "2? wow!"
For some reason I put of A.I. all this time and planned my air-dive, watched my gauge and did the third rule etc. But having used the Sol for some time (onlzy a few dives) I did like seeing the air pressure on the screen. Never tried difficult dives with it.
And then I had kids, instructing stopped, diving slowed down. I never felt the urge to get fully into the tech diving, do have Nitrox certs. Because I plainly cannot find the time to move myself to places I can use trimix, same goes for rebreathers, I find it a way to big investment in my kit for the fun dives I do. Very interesting this tech diving and I do read about this, but 10k for a reabreater on a 20m dive I can do with air or nitrox, No thanks. I have seen the industry change from divers to spenders, hobby-hoppers with big budget and simple kit was not good enough. I have been the diver with the old car, good kit that I abused for ears untill it fell apart (like the straps for my galileoˋs again) and then find a bargain with a closedown sales of a shop that went bankrupt or something like that.

So now what do I need from a Computer:
1 Reliability. (known brand, not some new chinese-these are great but will not support you-fancy stuff)
2 Long battery life (simple) rechargable or exchangable, preferably the latter.
3 Easy to read, those galileo had a massive screens and my eyes are not getting younger - they had light but now there are color screens, how does that affect the battery?
4 Buhlman, I think, as I might use my terra as back-up again.( please do not make this a rgbm vs buhlman thread)
5 I do not want to see code 505 on my screen when I f-up, get me safe out of the water instead, but not as the first one.
6 bluetooth, I felt bad when windows stopped supporting IR and I could no longer read out my dives. (any cheap tips to get them out)
7 I do not need CCR TRIMIX per definition and will not use this, don´t mind if it is included.
8 do I need Air Integration?
9 I was thinking about 500 Euro and I know Air Integration will bring it 300 up.
10 pre-war prices, where can I get them? did I mention budget - kids cost a lot too

Interesting computers I have seen so far:
Scubapro Luna 2 has AI but screen seems dim - a computer in line with what I currently own. No reviews found so far
Shearwater Peregine. Heard a lot about reliability and support of this brand, too bad there is no option for air. Yes the other one doe shave that but then I need to look at the price.
Galileo G2 on the more expensive side and, a little older, again in the line of what I have
Apeks DSX - fairly new & packed with options. expensive, they used to have a great computer when I bought the terra.
Aqualung i770r, looks nice but unfamiliar with their computers and do not know owners. Could be in the same camp of Mares & Cressi, which I would skip.
Suunto Eon - plenty of features. RGBM which also is re-known for workable in fundive situations, I heard very conservative and not that great support.
Would a vyper novo still do the trick? itś an oldy- see above EON but if you can find them with a POD they are about 500

Looking for feedback - tips and alternatives

Today I think Shearwater is the go-to choice.

I haven't seen a RATIO in years, it is very capable but it was a bit confusing to operate.

I would avoid any mass market kit because its not really tech diving specific despite what they say.

There's some interesting thinks coming out of Switzerland and here in the states the Tiger Shark looks promising.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom