Glide Plus vs Seaquest Pro QD

Which model BC do you like best

• Scubrapro Glide Plus

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • Seaquest Pro QD

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mchiapetto

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am deciding between a Scubapro Glide Plus and a Seaquest Pro QD. Both seem nice with the main difference being the Glide Plus has mechanincal releases on the integrated weights while the Seaquest uses velcro.

What are your thoughts and/opr experiences with these two BCs?

The tank strap latch is also very different, I've been using the Scubapro strap for a couple of decades now, and I like it a lot!

I was also interested in the mechanical release that the Glide Plus offered. I wasn't sure which side of the fence I fell on? Should I go velcro only and have the whole velcro wears out issue or to go with the "X-tra"step of having to release the buckles and then pull in an emergency situation.

After giving it thought I decided that as long as I knew my equipment and practiced what to do, that it really wasn't an "X-tra" step after all.

I went with the Glide Plus and I enjoy it.

hope this helps.

-Crispy

I've dived both of these BC's recently. They're both great.

The general concensus with most scuba divers, me included, is that the extra security of the buckles was more of a benefit (and more often used) than the one-step ditchability of the SeaQuest. Both were great and both had their advantages. Neither were really all that different... The velcro really was pretty secure, just not quite as secure as the buckles. The buckles took a sorta half-step more to release, but it really wasn't much of an issue.

Like someone else mentioned, though, there was a bigger difference in the cam straps... And that Scubapro design is really hard to beat. The SeaQuest design, by comparison, really isn't as durable or as secure.

The Scubapros also have this very interesting way of attaching themselves to your body, and allowing the bladder to "glide" back and forth on a set of hidden straps which reduced the amount of squeeze that it placed on your body. I liked it, and preferred it to the way the SeaQuest was: more like a hard-mount to your body.

So I personally liked the Scubapro better.

That said, keep in mind that the SeaQuest QD is their top of the line jacket style BC... There are color options and "gadget" options, but the design is the same throughout the QD lineup. And the Scubapro Glide is NOT Scubapro's top of the line jacket style BCD. So you really aren't comparing top of the line with top of the line. You're comparing SeaQuest's top of the line with Scubapro's mid-line jacket BC... And the mid-line Scubapro still seemed nicer to me.

The top of the line Scubapro jacket style BC is the "Classic," which is hand made in their factory, strapless in the chest, and has an all-over bladder that allows for the "bubble" in the bladder to go whereever it wants to, so as to not ever cause trim issues. It looks a little plain in the shop, but it dives great, and if it fits you well (more important, since this jacket forgoes the ability to adjust torso length like most do) you'll quickly become addicted to the BC's ability to have completely neutral trim in the water. At least, I was. The Classic also had the ability to accept either singles or double tanks, as did the SeaQuest QD... I don't remember if the Glide could be set up easily for doubles. That might be a decision maker for you.

FYI: Both the Scubapro's and SeaQuest's integrated octos are balanced this year, so that really shouldn't be a decision maker. I did like the look of the SeaQuest's integrated dump hose, designed to hold the low pressure inflator hose so as to appear to be one streamlined unit. However, in the water, I found it to be more of a pain than anything else, often snapping out of place unless you had "just the right length" of inflator hose to attach to it. This was never an issue with the simpler, although not as pretty Scubapro unit, and I preferred that to the SeaQuest for that reason.

Bottom line is that I don't think you could go wrong with either excellent unit, based on my humble experience... But my personal favorite was the Scubapro lineup, with a slant toward their top of the line "Classic."

I got my Glide Plus last Oct and just love it. It fits very good and is very comfortable.... I like how it is put together and the weights are very easy to move in and out of the system.

Rich:mean:

I've used my Glide Plus on dives to retrive weight pockets from BCs that used velcro only for security.

Also, I used to use the "Classic" or stab jacket from Scubapro, for 20+ years actually, and I got the Glide because it is so easy to control in mid water diving, and I love the integrated weight system.

After more research, I have learned some interesting things about the differences between these two BCs. I thought I would share what I found out.

There are a number of differences. One obvious one that was covered above is that the Glide Plus has a mechanical release on the integrated weights while the Pro QD does not. And the tank strapping has been mentioned above too.

But perhaps the biggest difference is the method of attachning the low pressure inflator hose to the vest. The Glid Plus uses an O-ring with a cover that must be opened with a special tool. The Pro QD uses a cover that is screwed on by hand and a gasket. The hose on the Pro QD can easily be removed for cleaning.

The biggest impact of this comes from using the pull dump associated with the low pressure hose. After a while of pulling on the Glide Plus, the O-ring will become unseated and it will leak out the fitting. Then it must be taken to a dive tech with a tool to be reseated. The tech I spoke with said this is very tricky. He does quite a few of these every month and it takes him 5 or 6 tries to get it to seat properly.

The contrast of the Pro QD is that this is easy to remove. Removing the hose makes cleaning the unit much easier.

The Pro QD has swivel clips on the adjustable chest straps. I am tod this allows the vest to pivot as you tighten it which results in a better, more comfortable fit. The swivel clips have a very nice, easy to use quick release. The Glide Plus uses a typical clip release.

The pockets on the Glid Plus are a little nicer and maybe more useful. The Pro QD shars pocket space with the integrated weight pouch. The Glide Plus als has a handy pocket on the cumberbun.

On the Glide Plus tank strap, I was told that it is not uncommon to see people get their fingers mashed if they are not being careful. This is something to keep in mind while you are clamping your tank in. Mashed fingers are never any fun.

The trim pockets are easier to reach on the Glide Plus. The Pro QD are reached from the inside of the back of the jacket (with it off of course).

The Glide Plus material is heavier than the Pro QD. This would make the Glide Plus a little more resistant to tears or wearing. But it means the Pro QD is a little more flexible and perhaps better at conforming to your body.

I was told that the inflation of the bladder functions differently between the two vests. The Glide Plus expands both inward and outward so it squeezes as it is inflated. The Pro QD is designed to expand only outward so even when it is fully inflated it does not squeeze. I can not personally attest to this yet but I will be trying one on in the water very soon so I will see first hand.

Both have lots of D rings. and both appear to be very nice jackets. I think you could choose either and be happy. But based on what I discovered in my research, I am going to choose the Pro QD.

Happy diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom