Which Apeks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cjv

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys,

If you were to choose between an Apeks DS4/ATX 50 set-up and Apeks FST/ATX 100 which one would you pick? Also I've notice that the DS4 is mostly paired up with the ATX 50 or TX 50 range second stage. What if I had it DS4 and ATX 100 second stage set-up?
Any input/advice is highly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Cheers/Safe diving,

Chris......

cjv:
Hi guys,

If you were to choose between an Apeks DS4/ATX 50 set-up and Apeks FST/ATX 100 which one would you pick? Also I've notice that the DS4 is mostly paired up with the ATX 50 or TX 50 range second stage. What if I had it DS4 and ATX 100 second stage set-up?
Any input/advice is highly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Cheers/Safe diving,

Chris......
First lets separate the disussion into two parts, the first stage and the second stage.

As far as breathing performance is concerned any differences between the DS4, and FST first stages should be so small as to be virtually impossible for a diver to notice. The regulators use the same internal parts and fundamental design. Differences between the two are all on the outside. Do you feel that the FST will offer better hose routing for your needs? Do you need two high pressure ports? Do you feel that the 1/2" port for the second stage is really important? If you answer yes to any of these questions then get the FST. If you answered no then get the DS4.

For considering the second stages all of the ATX series second stages are the same, so the ATX50 and the ATX100 are really the same thing. The only difference is the cosmetic cover on the front. The TX50 shares the same internal parts as the ATX 50, the big difference here is the overall size. The TX50 is larger than the ATX50, this means a larger diaphragm, larger overall case, and it also has a larger exhaust tee. Again when choosing between the second stages you have mentioned pick the one you like the most and go for it.

For my doubles I have two DS4 first stages, each paired with a TX50 second stage. I dive with a "long hose" configuration so my backup second stage is worn on a bungee necklace under my chin. Since the TX50 is slightly larger it is a little bulky. If I had it to do over again I would use the TX50 as my primary second stage and the ATX50 as my backup. The configuration that I dive and the second configuration that I just mentioned seem to me to be an excellent choice with regard to function and price. Top performing regulator sets at a somewhat reasonable price.

Mark Vlahos

I bought an XTX-200 setup. Why? Price was 20$ Higher than XTX-100 setup and XTX-50 setup.
If I would have bought it individually. I would have bought a ATX-50 DS4
The second is smaller and if you look at the stats the ATX-50 is very good for cold water. Why would you want one a bit better if the DS4 already makes the job better than the others reg?

Is Phil at divesports.com still selling his Apeks stock? Go check it out. His dealership is now void. But for the price he sells it: It's a deal.

I have DS4/ATX50 and do single tank diving. Maybe a little overkill
for the diving I do but I have NO complaints so far.

Back
Top Bottom