Question ATX40 vs XL4 vs MK17/C370

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JakeyH

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

Currently in the process of purchasing my first set of regulators, will need to be cold water rated since I'm going to be doing a fair bit of UK diving, but also quite a lot of travelling so a lower weight/size would also be useful. Narrowed it down to these 3 options within my price range:

DS4/ATX40 stage 4 set
XL4 (standard, not + or ocea) stage 3 set
MK17EVO/C370/R095

The latter two are priced the same as the ATX40 set but of course are lacking an SPG so would be a little extra. Heard only good things about the DS4/ATX40 combo but I do like the idea of the really small XL4s for travelling. That said, I've heard mixed opinions about how they handle really cold water. Similarly for the MK17/C370 I have heard nothing about the C370 2nd stage being rated for cold water or how it handles it, and having such a basic octo feels like a let down compared to the other two. Hoping to get some input from people who own these/are presumably much more knowledgeable on the subject than me. Cheers.

Do not get a crap low-performance octo.
Wathever brand you choose, get two identical second stages.
My recommendation is a MK17 with two identical G250V.
But I am quite partial favouring Scubapro over other brands...

Back
Top Bottom