Aqualung Core/Helix vs ScubaPro MK11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nimapeace

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My LDS is offering an (ex-rental but rebuilt) AL Core (rebranded Helix) reg+octo combo for a very decent price.

Until this point I was considering a SP MK11/c370+r095 combo or a similar offering from SP.

Will the Aqualung reg breathe significantly worse than the C370/MK11 combo? The AL is about 30% cheaper than the SP setup I'm looking at. Is it worth the extra $$?

What about the MK2 out of interest (I know its a piston but price is more comparable)? I dive cold water if that matters (10C)

A used AL Core should be closer to half the price of the SP combo. Unless money is really tight, I wouldn't bother.

The Mk2 will be fine in 10C. If it's 30% less than the Mk11, I'd seriously consider it.

What are the actual prices and all the included second stages?

I’m also leaning toward the SP.

535 for AL Core + Calypso secondary + i300c console.

780 for MK11/c370/r095/spg or 650 for MK2e/s270/r095/spg (All prices include tax). There’s also used which I’m not afraid of but for the low end the initial service is a big chunk of the price + the dealers have good sales now.

780 for MK11/c370/r095/spg
You guys a really being 'screwed over' for SP gear in the US
That combo brand new is US $250 cheaper here.

Edit: Forgot the SPG and hose, still US $41 cheaper.

Ok, so the AL includes a decent nitrox computer. That makes the deal a lot more reasonable if you don't already have one and weren't planning on buying something fancier. There is a wrist mount available for the i300c for $40 if you want to dump the console. Aqua Lung i100, i300, i300C Bungee Wrist Mount Scuba Dive Computer NEW #2836 | eBay .

Wait, no octopus? If that's the case, then it's not really a bargain.

If you want an idea of current prices and factory authorized deals, check out scuba.com. The Mk11/C370/R095 is currently $643. Add an SPG and sales tax and your LDS price is about right.

I prefer the Core/Helix first stage but C370 second stage all the way. In fact that's the combo I've been diving of late, well, Titan LX Supreme actually but same same.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom