Aqualung Core/Helix vs ScubaPro MK11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All die respect to Simon and James, between these two I would go with a Zeagle F8 :wink:
Since scuba.com is your LDS, take a look at the Sherwood deals on both the Blizzard Pro and Oasis Pro. I don't have personal experience with them, but have only heard positive things and they are a straight up bargain currently at $475 with octo.

Both versions use the same environmentally sealed first stage. There's only a couple of minor differences in the second stage (they use the same service parts) with the Blizzard being a little more freeze resistant if you are diving in water below 10C.
Sorry I worded that badly. I have an LDS who will match scuba.com's price. These both seem like great options but I'd prefer to stick to SP/AL as they have great service coverage in my area (and globally). (edit: maybe not with AL? I wasn't familiar with the financial troubles)

The Core first stage if it is a Supreme is a superb first stage. Small and compact and full;y sealed and it has ACD. The Core second stage is pneumatically balanced but non-adjustable. it is an excellent performer.

Used vs new, it better look new. Scubapro regulators are known for their longevity mostly due to long parts support. A Mark 11 is not sealed but I do not see this as an issue being as only the spring chamber is exposed. The C370 is a much better second stage and is balanced and adjustable and much tougher being a fiber reinforced nylon vs a thin ABS plastic of the Core.

The Mark 2 Evo is all the first stage regulator most people need and it is cold water rated. Paired with a balanced second stage like a C370 it would perform well. The Core first is balanced and sealed, so for cold water I would give it the edge.

Not sure where you got the idea that piston regulators were somhow below diaphragm? Piston regulators are rugged and reliable and generally have higher flow capability and faster IP response. Oh, I bet it was on scubaboard you heard such nonsense :stirpot:.
I'm 90% sure its the unsealed core 1st stage unfortunately -- is that still worth considering? My LDS is very reputable so I doubt they would sell something in a bad condition.

And regarding piston regs, I don't have anything against them but I figure a good diaphragm > cheap piston for cold water.

Sorry I worded that badly. I have an LDS who will match scuba.com's price. These both seem like great options but I'd prefer to stick to SP/AL as they have great service coverage in my area (and globally). (edit: maybe not with AL? I wasn't familiar with the financial troubles)

I'm 90% sure its the unsealed core 1st stage unfortunately -- is that still worth considering? My LDS is very reputable so I doubt they would sell something in a bad condition.

And regarding piston regs, I don't have anything against them but I figure a good diaphragm > cheap piston for cold water.
The worry about “local” support is the portal to the trap.

Ok, back to basics. All of these regsets work great for the actual breathing underwater thing, so it comes down to other considerations.

The used AL combo with computer has price on its side. The additional money for the Mk11 gives you shiny newness, assurance of parts availability for basically forever, and no issues getting it serviced basically anywhere in the world.

If it were me and the extra couple of hundred bucks wasn't the difference between diving and not diving, I'd get the Mk11.

That may be but not true here. The reason I was able to put my Core together was thanks to you. Local stores here gave up and are dropping AL. I have had parts on order through several stores for over a year and a half. No more AL for me. Not until they straighten out. And, stores tell me they are snoody to deal with as well.
Ah ok. Fortunately I've now AL parts for Africa, I've enough spares now to se me out.

Yes, they are terrible to deal with, even my side of the world, I'd go so far as to say shocking in fact.

I'm 90% sure its the unsealed core 1st stage unfortunately -- is that still worth considering? My LDS is very reputable so I doubt they would sell something in a bad condition

I actually have all the parts to seal a core.

...As for the dive computer, having it wrist mounted down the line is actually a huge pro, I didn’t realize that was possible. I do want a backup computer that uses Buhlmann so this works.
The Aqua Lung i300C runs the PZ+ deco algorithm, moderate/middle or the road in the conservative to liberal spectrum. What are you talking about, Buhlmann?

I would opt for the MK2 EVO and C370, just because I like pistons, and dive cold water most of the time. If you like diaphram than get the MK11 and C370. I have found the servicing SP is easy regardless of where I find myself needing service. I normally send mine out because I don't have a local LDS. Luckily I have not needed service while traveling. I carry and extra set, if/when one doesn't perform as expected, I switch to other and send defective for service when I get home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom