Aqualung Core/Helix vs ScubaPro MK11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wait, no octopus? If that's the case, then it's not really a bargain.

If you want an idea of current prices and factory authorized deals, check out scuba.com. The Mk11/C370/R095 is currently $643. Add an SPG and sales tax and your LDS price is about right.
My “LDS” price is from scuba.com so yes you’re spot on.

And the octo is a calypso octo included in the price.

As for the dive computer, having it wrist mounted down the line is actually a huge pro, I didn’t realize that was possible. I do want a backup computer that uses Buhlmann so this works.

I prefer the Core/Helix first stage but C370 second stage all the way. In fact that's the combo I've been diving of late, well, Titan LX Supreme actually but same same.
So maybe getting this bundle and then getting a C370 or G250 down the line to replace the primary is a good move?

So to confirm you’d take the core 1st stage over an MK11? Or was that compared to MK2.

I got that 😂 but why?
Because AL is not shipping parts and product but sporadically.

The Core first stage if it is a Supreme is a superb first stage. Small and compact and full;y sealed and it has ACD. The Core second stage is pneumatically balanced but non-adjustable. it is an excellent performer.

Used vs new, it better look new. Scubapro regulators are known for their longevity mostly due to long parts support. A Mark 11 is not sealed but I do not see this as an issue being as only the spring chamber is exposed. The C370 is a much better second stage and is balanced and adjustable and much tougher being a fiber reinforced nylon vs a thin ABS plastic of the Core.

The Mark 2 Evo is all the first stage regulator most people need and it is cold water rated. Paired with a balanced second stage like a C370 it would perform well. The Core first is balanced and sealed, so for cold water I would give it the edge.

Not sure where you got the idea that piston regulators were somhow below diaphragm? Piston regulators are rugged and reliable and generally have higher flow capability and faster IP response. Oh, I bet it was on scubaboard you heard such nonsense :stirpot:.

So maybe getting this bundle and then getting a C370 or G250 down the line to replace the primary is a good move?

So to confirm you’d take the core 1st stage over an MK11? Or was that compared to MK2.
Yes, I'd take any Titan/Core/Helix variant over a MK11.

Because AL is not shipping parts and product but sporadically.

The Core first stage if it is a Supreme is a superb first stage. Small and compact and full;y sealed and it has ACD. The Core second stage is pneumatically balanced but non-adjustable. it is an excellent performer.

Used vs new, it better look new. Scubapro regulators are known for their longevity mostly due to long parts support. A Mark 11 is not sealed but I do not see this as an issue being as only the spring chamber is exposed. The C370 is a much better second stage and is balanced and adjustable and much tougher being a fiber reinforced nylon vs a thin ABS plastic of the Core.

The Mark 2 Evo is all the first stage regulator most people need and it is cold water rated. Paired with a balanced second stage like a C370 it would perform well. The Core first is balanced and sealed, so for cold water I would give it the edge.

Not sure where you got the idea that piston regulators were somhow below diaphragm? Piston regulators are rugged and reliable and generally have higher flow capability and faster IP response. Oh, I bet it was on scubaboard you heard such nonsense :stirpot:.
A bit slow at times but I've had no issues getting any AL parts and I order a lot and I do mean a lot and very frequently over the past two years. I have more issues with SP parts being on back order. The "financial issues" would not stop me from buying AL, they are very unlikely to go under anytime soon IMO. YMMV.

A bit slow at times but I've had no issues getting any AL parts and I order a lot and I do mean a lot and very frequently over the past two years. I have more issues with SP parts being on back order. The "financial issues" would not stop me from buying AL, they are very unlikely to go under anytime soon IMO. YMMV.
That may be but not true here. The reason I was able to put my Core together was thanks to you. Local stores here gave up and are dropping AL. I have had parts on order through several stores for over a year and a half. No more AL for me. Not until they straighten out. And, stores tell me they are snoody to deal with as well.

stores tell me they are snoody to deal with as well.

The ones I dealt with in my region are arrogant pricks. The worst I have ever dealt with in the dive business (there is another company that is just as bad but it was just one person in the company in contrast to AL as a company).

Since scuba.com is your LDS, take a look at the Sherwood deals on both the Blizzard Pro and Oasis Pro. I don't have personal experience with them, but have only heard positive things and they are a straight up bargain currently at $475 with octo.

Both versions use the same environmentally sealed first stage. There's only a couple of minor differences in the second stage (they use the same service parts) with the Blizzard being a little more freeze resistant if you are diving in water below 10C.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom