Mares or Tusa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AJ Tudor

Registered
Reaction score
It appears that comparisons between regs are the best way to go around here, so here's my question: Are their any Mares regs that compare (Price as well) to the Tusa RS-230/240? My LDS is not a Tusa dealer, nor are any nearby so any problems with a Tusa reg would probably cost me quite a bit, but with Mares so common any DS could help me out with problems. The main details of a reg that I'm looking for are; Flow control valve, EN250 passed, balanced first stage, light weight if possible. Any other considerations are minor but still relevant. Price is not a huge issue but I do have limited funds.

If you going to be doing any cold water diving i would recomend neither due to them freezing at a very high temp like 45 ish deg. save your money and get and atomic or apeks reg set

lowridersvt:
If you going to be doing any cold water diving i would recomend neither due to them freezing at a very high temp like 45 ish deg. save your money and get and atomic or apeks reg set
I'll call BS on this one. My Mares Abyss never froze on me but my Apeks, while an excellent reg, did.
BTW, using a piston reg in cold environment would increase the chances of a freeze up-unless they are sealed. :wink:

AJ, I'd get me the reg that I would be able to service locally or in the shop I'd trust.
If you are going to travel a lot with your regs, I'd recommend looking into one of the big names in the industry (Mares, Scubapro, Aqualung) as they can be serviced almost everywhere in the world. :wink:

Aquaoren

I have a question about Mares regs you may be able to answer. I have an MR12 1st stage and an axispro 2nd. I spoke to a dive shop in California and was told, ‘don’t put the coldwater kit on my reg, because 1) It does not work very well and 2) It really raises the breathing resistance of the system.’

Any information on that from the Great White North?

Flea Dog

Flea Dog:
Aquaoren

I have a question about Mares regs you may be able to answer. I have an MR12 1st stage and an axispro 2nd. I spoke to a dive shop in California and was told, ‘don’t put the coldwater kit on my reg, because 1) It does not work very well and 2) It really raises the breathing resistance of the system.’

Flea Dog
I'll be honest with you. I'm not a reg tech and I don't play one on TV. I have only some basic undersatnding of how regs work. :wink:
Never had a MR12 so I'm not familiar with this particular first stage. I'm a big fan of the Mares Abyss though. I made couple hundred dives with it ranging from extremeley warm (Red Sea) to extremely cold (Great lakes and Atlantic Canada during the winter) and it always performed flawlessly and without the slightest "hickup", while being a great breather regardless how deep I was. My Abyss isn't sealed.
It's a reg that is just superior to many other regs that have "hyped reputation".

Let me ask you why you would like to seal your reg? Did you encounter any issues in the cold with it?

Flea Dog:
Aquaoren

Flea Dog
Both statements are patently untrue. The coldwater kit works just fine. I used it for eight weeks north of the Arctic Circle and had no regulator problems whatever. I installed the kits myself, I noticed no change in the breathing characteristics of either of my MR-12 Navy's. The only thing that vaguely relates is that you set the IP a few PSI lower with the coldwater kit.

lowridersvt,

I have to respectfully challenge you on your cold water statement. Mares regs are known to be incredible products for cold water. We have a full line of regs with all metal second stages. An all metal second stage will always be better in cold water over plastic. Please read the following testimony from a cold water diver.

"Hello! During the freedive record attempt in Torneträsk and Jukkasjärvi last week I tested the new Mares Proton Extreme regulator. (The dive was done with 300 BAR tank pressure).I did 3 dives with a total dive time of 60 minutes and about 15 minutes surface interval in between. In the water, under the ice, both my computers showed 0°C (I know from earlier that these normally show 2°C warmer than for example Citizen diving watches).During the dive I provoked the regulator to freeflow with for example shaking it with my hand. I even attempted while sitting on the ice to do everything wrongsuch as breathing with the regulator above water and pressing the purge button etc, nothing got it to freeflow!At the same time we did similar tests on last year’s model Proton Ice with CWD kit fitted, but we couldn’t get that to freeze either.As a last test after 60 minutes and 3 dives, my reg’got to stand with air pressure on for about 20 minutes. Both the first and second stage was by that time completely coated in ice but still working perfectly.It was so cold in the water under the ice that my hood froze to the ice after about 30 seconds. When I came up from the whole in the ice, the first stage was covered with a film of ice 5mm thick, it even almost completely covered the CWD kit."
Sincerely,

Thanks guys this has definatly given me something to consider. One problem I have with Mares is I've heard quite a few complaints compared to other regulators, not to mention they tend to be expensive.

AJ,
That is a misnomer. Everyone where has an opinion one way or the other. I am sure if you spend some time searching around on this board you will find a wide variety of opinions about all manufacturers products. I also know you will find good reviews re: Mares products. As for the price, we are very competitive to other brands. You just have to look around.

Good luck in your hunt, I'm sure you'll be happy with whichever regulator you decide.

Sincerely,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom