Narrowed it down to 5...please help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thresa

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I went to scuba toys (great store and great people) to buy a regulator, octo, BC, and computer package. I will be recreational diving in warm water only. I had to make way too many decisions that day and I’m really uneasy about the regulator that I choose. I went thinking that I would up with a scuba pro, or an Aqua lung (Apex), but they no longer carried either one. I didn’t know a whole lot about the other brands that they carried. I ended up with the Tusa RS-130. If they will let me return it my options are
Mares MR12 Rebel
Sherwood Oasis
Oceanic Zeta
Aeries Atmos
Zeagle Envoy
Zeagle Envoy deluxe
I live in the Houston area so I should be able to get any of these serviced and I can always ship my equipment to scuba toys for service, they are pretty close to Houston. I have already asked several questions about regulators on the board, but I am still just so overwhelmed by the options and understanding the real difference between the brands. Thanks in advance for helping me out.

What is the difference between the envoy and the envoy deluxe? Is it just that on the envoy deluxe you can adjust the air flow? Is this necessary/beneficial when recreational diving?

I use an Aeris that has been beat around alot and is still working fine, it's never malfunctioned at all. I do get it serviced regularly. Just make sure you get one that is ok for deeper water; you never know where you might decide to go.

Thresa:
What is the difference between the envoy and the envoy deluxe? Is it just that on the envoy deluxe you can adjust the air flow? Is this necessary/beneficial when recreational diving?

The Envoy deluxe has the adjustable flow knob. I dived the regular Zeagle Envoy for a couple of years and even at 140 feet it is a sweet breather. Of your choices, I would pick Zeagle. :)

If you can't return the Tusa and buy a Scubapro reg somewhere else, then I agree the Zeagle Envoy Deluxe would be a good choice if those are the only ones you can choose from. You may want to ask if you can trade up towards a Zeagle Flathead VI, which is said to be even better (but more expensive). Either way, the Envoy Deluxe should serve you very well.

The ability to adjust air flow is the primary advantage of the Deluxe. It is not a critical necessity, but it does have some advantages if your reg is not tuned just right, or if you want to limit free flows while on the surface, or for other various minor reasons.

Bottom line...you are on the right track with your thoughts. Scubapro and Zeagle are great products. I have used both and was mostly satisfied with both, but use only Scubapro now. Zeagle regs are heavier and very durable, and Scubapro regs are lighter and very durable.

Don't skimp on quality when you buy, and your gear will last for many years; it may even outlast you.

Welcome to a wonderful sport!

Hope this helps!

Thresa:
Yes, that is the difference. Some people like it and some never use it. If it were me I would get the Envoy or Envoy Deluxe, great regs.

realdiver7:
Zeagle regs are heavier and very durable, and Scubapro regs are lighter and very durable.

Are the envoy and envoy deluxe considered heavy reg's? Does this mean that they are uncomfortable and bulky to dive with?

The moisure retention and bubble deflection in the sherwood oasis sound like it would be a really comfortable reg to dive with, but not many on this board have much to say about it, what is the down side of the oasis...or sherwood?

zeagle envoy (or deluxe)

Zeagle always get's my vote.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom