How do folks navigate buying scuba equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I live ~100 miles from my LDS. I have divable lakes within daily driving distance, but not good diving. Enjoyable diving is always an overnight trip. I've also done trips to the Caribbean (LOB, Resort, and Cruises).
In my short 5 year time diving, I've gone through several equipment changes. I've been balancing cost of equipment against cost of trips. I only have done recreational dives, and do not plan on advancing further.

Fins, mask, snorkel, wet suit, and that collection of things that are nice to have that fit the label "Christmas Tree ornaments" -- all cost about that of a days diving, and my main concern is comfort / convenience.

A must-have: Computer -- initially get a good one that meets your diving style, then pay attention to what others that dive like you are using, and what they say. The first computer will soon become the backup to a real purchase. The first one can come from the LDS, the 2nd will probably be an internet purchase.
Another must have: Mask -- Again, the initial mask can be from the LDS, chosen after trying on what is available. This, too, will become a backup after observing others. The second mask also may have gauge reader and/or prescription lenses. Also determine if black, white, clear mask skirt works best.
Fins -- Count on having several sets. Even settling on just a good set of travel fins is tough without trying and using several to see what fits personal needs.

BCD, Regs - The initial cost is one thing, service every two years will add up, especially if the LDS doesn't service it. Even more so if the LDS gives a service discount for purchases made at the shop. If freshly serviced, or before dive trips, visit the training lake for the LDS, and make sure these work. Even if the BCD and Regs eventually get replaced (they will), buy a brand the LDS services.
Tanks, tank valves: If distance to the LDS makes local diving untenable, buy as needed from what the LDS can service. Otherwise it's much less hassle to rent rather than worry about VIP, Hydro, cleaning, obtaining and storing fills.

This last one I spent 5 years thinking about. It's probably my starting point for thinking about going Tech.
Dry suit - spend a few years suffering the cold, observing, and making your mind up. Then find a LDS that sells exactly what you decide on -- the LDS salesperson is needed to ensure the measurements are correct.

I then booked private lesson and voila! Best $200 I spent. Got my weighting and trim figured out for warm and cold water diving (if I want to), and refreshed my basics.
Bargain.

I do what most people probably shouldn't do. I live in Oklahoma. I'm 150 miles from a dive shop and at least that far to dive in any very low viz cold lake. I buy online and from ebay. Ebay stuff I try to buy NIB stuff. Other stuff I buy Amazon, Diver's Direct, and Scuba.com. I'm sure I'm getting bashed by most everyone on here right now. Rightly so. I dive it in my pool in the backyard. If I like it, it works, and want to dive it anywhere else and it's used, I mail it off for service. Sometimes to California even. Sometimes I give it away if it was cheap to someone else if I don't like it. Sometimes I resell it on ebay if I don't like it. Most of my stuff is bought new after reading way to many reviews on here and elsewhere. This is my tried and true method for trying things out to see what I like. But, I don't recommend it for anyone if you can avoid it.

You gotta be vigilant and proactive. This ****'s expensive.
The name of the game is deal hunting (and knowing when to walk away from a deal that isn't a good one).

First off, if it's something I deem a critical piece of kit and I'm on somewhat of a time limit, I'm going to hunt for the best deal and snap that up, even if I know I can get a better deal later on. Sometimes the best deal is whatever the dive shop is asking bc I broke my mask and the boat's gonna take off in an hour.

Also, do some cost benefit analysis on what actually matters. I like night diving. I don't have a tank light because the tank light costs like $40. I can buy 2 boxes of chem-lights and a bag of 50 heavy duty rubber bands for $40. That gets me 20 night dives for the same price. I still don't have 20 night dives and regret absolutely nothing about not owning a tank light.

The rest of it is determining what I want to purchase factory new (anything life supporting, though this is a personal choice), and what I'm okay with purchasing second hand.

Factory new items: I will scour the internet and LDS's for deals. I dive a regulator that's WAY out of my budget because I found it at 50% off online. When i contacted the shop, i asked if it was a display model, they told me that the color was unpopular, so they were liquidating them. So now I dive a $700 regulator I got for $350 because apparently nobody wanted to dive a reg with white furniture. breathes great, probably just as great as the other colored ones.

Second hand stuff: These are items you need to be patient with. You need to balance the condition you find acceptable and the timeframe you need it in. I got my 5mm wetsuit at a second hand store. It doesn't fit great, but it fits "good enough", was $60 and i needed a wetsuit so i went for it. I've dived it a couple dozen times and it's still rocking. My 3mm fits MUCH better, but was more money. I also decided to spend more money because I got it before going on a long trip to a place with much warmer water.

Facebook Groups/ Offer Up. People offload dive gear ALL the time, and it will come in at a fraction of the cost of buying new. Be really careful about buying lifesupport gear on these. If you buy a reg or BC on one of these groups, make sure your LDS can service it first, and then make that your next stop after buying it. Everything else is awesome as hell because you can look at the gear in person and either make or walk away from the deal on site. I've bought a pair of RK3 fins and a pair of JetFins this way, for about the same amount of money total than I would have spent buying the RK3's new. Doing it this way, you need to be savvy on other aspects of things, like how to inspect/assess and maintain/repair gear. Some of it is in great condition, some of it is trash. The rest is everywhere in between. The RK3's were ~$100 and were damn near new bc I bought them from someone who overinvested and then didnt like diving after their third trip underwater. The JetFins were $40 because the buckles were corroded, the straps were dry rotted and they had some white gunk building up on them. I looked at them in person and determined that the fins and attachment points were in good shape though, so I bought those. I cut the buckles out, gave them a once over with some crumpled newspaper to get rid of the gunk, and replaced the straps and buckles with spring straps for another $50 (got some tech straps during a 4th of July sale at my LDS), and boom. I've got a top self set of drysuit fins for less than $100 out the door.

How it's usually done is to extensively research gear on the internet, narrow it down to a few options, make a list of the pros and cons, finally commit to a purchase, and immediately regret it when you have it at home because you've just found something even better, or a newer version has just been announced.

I live ~100 miles from my LDS. I have divable lakes within daily driving distance, but not good diving. Enjoyable diving is always an overnight trip. I've also done trips to the Caribbean (LOB, Resort, and Cruises).
In my short 5 year time diving, I've gone through several equipment changes. I've been balancing cost of equipment against cost of trips. I only have done recreational dives, and do not plan on advancing further.

Fins, mask, snorkel, wet suit, and that collection of things that are nice to have that fit the label "Christmas Tree ornaments" -- all cost about that of a days diving, and my main concern is comfort / convenience.

I try to support my good LDS's. Primarily for wetsuit, fins, mask etc. etc. All fitted things from the LDS.

A must-have: Computer -- initially get a good one that meets your diving style, then pay attention to what others that dive like you are using, and what they say. The first computer will soon become the backup to a real purchase. The first one can come from the LDS, the 2nd will probably be an internet purchase.

Shearwater Terric or Perdix. That's an easy one.

Another must have: Mask -- Again, the initial mask can be from the LDS, chosen after trying on what is available. This, too, will become a backup after observing others. The second mask also may have gauge reader and/or prescription lenses. Also determine if black, white, clear mask skirt works best.
Fins -- Count on having several sets. Even settling on just a good set of travel fins is tough without trying and using several to see what fits personal needs.

BCD, Regs - The initial cost is one thing, service every two years will add up, especially if the LDS doesn't service it. Even more so if the LDS gives a service discount for purchases made at the shop. If freshly serviced, or before dive trips, visit the training lake for the LDS, and make sure these work. Even if the BCD and Regs eventually get replaced (they will), buy a brand the LDS services.

I like Bpw's like the DGX. There is no service. Rinse out the wing. You can replace the inflator and zipties for $25.

I like sealed diaphragm regs like Dive Rite. Configuted like DGX's long hose kits.

Tanks, tank valves: If distance to the LDS makes local diving untenable, buy as needed from what the LDS can service. Otherwise it's much less hassle to rent rather than worry about VIP, Hydro, cleaning, obtaining and storing fills.

This last one I spent 5 years thinking about. It's probably my starting point for thinking about going Tech.
Dry suit - spend a few years suffering the cold, observing, and making your mind up. Then find a LDS that sells exactly what you decide on -- the LDS salesperson is needed to ensure the measurements are correct.

Get at least a couple tanks and a couple Al40's so you can shore dive yourself, if and when you come across a spot.

How do people navigate buying scuba equipment?

Me: older, retired, live in Oregon, and I do primarily warm water diving.
I fist got certified in the early 70’s, but life happened and I am basically restarting at the ripe old age of 68.
I have finally bought some dive gear.

Here is my question: How does one reasonably make equipment purchase choices? I have never experienced such a confusing market & dizzying array of factors. Such as…
  • Many of us don’t dive in our town, so tricky to try stuff, practice and get acclimated. Can’t just try it like a pair of shoes.
  • All things being equal I would prefer to support my LDS - but they (understandably) carry a fraction of what you can get online. And it is usually not the least expensive option.
  • A wide range of stuff - that could be ‘fine’, but also could be life-and-death.
  • Great marketing that (understandably) pushes the best, coolest, latest.
  • A healthy amount of used equipment out there on forum-boards, from clubs, craigslist, etc - but maintenance & upkeep and that whole life-and-death thing…
I always had a mask/fins/snorkel - simple enough.
Then computer and wetsuit. (Shearwater and a 3/2 wetsuit)
Then BCD. (Zeagle covert)
Finally, I am looking at regulators, which becomes regulator/octopus/pressure gauge.
And I am stuck between local, online, used, new, piston, diaphragm, cold-water sealed, cold water-ok-but not ‘sealed’, balanced…

And the kicker is that the folks that are smart (probably right here) and knowledgeable (which I very much apprciate!) and share their thoughts and opinions, are also likely to be ‘gear heads’, who live this stuff and know it inside-and-out. Whereas I am never to going to service my own equipment and I just want simple, reliable and comfortable for warm-water diving 1-3 times a year.

I just wanted to share that feeling and see what others think.
Thanks…

PS - If you have an opinion on a good regulator choice (leaning towards a Apeks XL4, Zeagle Envoy II, or Zeagle F8) and a small-reliable octo... - I am definitely curious what folks think. Sorry for the rant. 😉🤿
Not sure if it's cool to piggyback here so please delete if I've overrstepped....

I'm in almost the same spot. 62 years old - licensed in '78, plenty of experience. Now, I'm only interested in warm water diving on winter trips. 2-3 trips max per year usually get in 10 dives per trip. Beginning to wonder if I should invest in a computer and my own bc and regulator set. I always bring my 3mm shortie, mask and fins because it makes me feel like a pro...lol

Are there any "leisure divers" here who just get away a few times a year who would like to chime in? Where my people at if theres's a sub for that?

Not sure if it's cool to piggyback here so please delete if I've overrstepped....

I'm in almost the same spot. 62 years old - licensed in '78, plenty of experience. Now, I'm only interested in warm water diving on winter trips. 2-3 trips max per year usually get in 10 dives per trip. Beginning to wonder if I should invest in a computer and my own bc and regulator set. I always bring my 3mm shortie, mask and fins because it makes me feel like a pro...lol

Are there any "leisure divers" here who just get away a few times a year who would like to chime in? Where my people at if theres's a sub for that?
That's 10-15 diving days per year.
Say $10~15 a day for computer rental.
So $100~225 a year.

It'd take 2.5-5 years to get your money back from a $500 computer purchase.
Do the same for regulator and BCD.

Take into account yearly service for the regulator, and how long you want to continue diving, and the convenience of owning your own gear.

I'd say you'd probably get your money's worth out of it.

If you had your own gear, would you actually dive more? That is one question there really isn't a mathematical solution to - the convenience and flexibility of having it on hand....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom