Nitrox Regs. with FO2 <40%

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

easyguy101

Registered
Reaction score
knowing the fact that there are mixes of nitrox in which the o2 is above 40%, i was wondering which regs would be suitable for this mixture since most say they will only accomodate mixes up to 40% thanks

<40% means less than 40% - which do you mean?

<40 or >40 (greater than 40)??

Good question.

Few manufacturers will give the ok to use their regs with mixes of more than 40% O2 unless they really expensive special color regs. Inever saw one of those silly things actually used but I have seen them in stores and catalogs.

One manufacturer put it to me this way...it's the service techs job to decide if thereg is O2 ready but their materials were appropriate.

The industry is just starting to come to terms with the fact that many of us use mixes all the way up to 100% O2.

That said, we've used lots of different brand regs with pure O2. If you do it, you may,of course, blow yourself up. If you take some tech classes, maybe a blending course and/or an O2 service tech course the subject will be covered. You might also get a copy of the O2 hackers handbook by Vance Harlow.

OMS, Aqualung, Apeks and Poseidon market specific regs in the US for use with up to 100% O2. There are other manufacturers who may have regs that may be suitable for use with up to 100% O2, but aren't willing to take the liabilty risk of saying it.

You can get a reg O2 cleaned for 100% O2. My LDS put a nice green sleeve on the hose. :)

TheRedHead:
You can get a reg O2 cleaned for 100% O2. My LDS put a nice green sleeve on the hose. :)

What is the process to get a reg O2 cleaned? What do they actually do?

dive4food:
What is the process to get a reg O2 cleaned? What do they actually do?

Ask your dive shop for O2 cleaning. They take the reg apart and remove all the potentially combustible debris, grease and parts and replace them with parts that are safe for 100% O2.

Greater Nitrox 40 first stage and second stages need O2 clean ...you can consider buy special regs set up to 100%

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom