West Pass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Port Tack

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello: I did some snorkling at west pass today. Just wanted to check it out and see if it would be worth diving. The dredging is on-going and the main channel is probably 8 ft or so deep from the gulf past the bridge and water pipes going over the cut. The dredge is working back toward little lagoon now. It was fun to get in the water, but I do not think I will dive there. I saw a lot of fish (no flounder) especially along the walls and around the pilings in the shade. My big find of the day was a five dollar bill. Heck, that will buy a bit more than a gallon of gas.
I wore my 3ml wetsuit just in case the jellies were out. I did not see a single one,nearly burnt up and was way too buoyant to snorkel very well. Overall, I had fun but do not see myself doing any diving there for a while at least. The dredge was a concern and I guess when it is gone the boat traffic will be the problem. Any time in the water is time well spent, though and the snorkel and the meal at Bahama Bob's was time well spent.

Mike

Its good to see it being open again. It will cut travel time to the Paddle wheeler by boat a great deal. Plus it can be a lot of fun passing through it on tubes

Cool, sounds like its worth a snorkel again :D

Hey, do any of you use a scooter to do the beach dives? Just thinking one of those little Seadoo scooters might be fun to use to run out to the whiskey wreck. Would anyone be willing to PM me info regarding the location of the paddlewheeler? I would like to do these two dives in the next week of so. My schedule is strange this week, but I will be off the weekend. Working this weekend, so I hope you are all out there having fun.

Mike

Port Tack:
Hey, do any of you use a scooter to do the beach dives? Just thinking one of those little Seadoo scooters might be fun to use to run out to the whiskey wreck. Would anyone be willing to PM me info regarding the location of the paddlewheeler? I would like to do these two dives in the next week of so. My schedule is strange this week, but I will be off the weekend. Working this weekend, so I hope you are all out there having fun.

Mike

Mike
I’ve never given a Scooter much thought I must admit I always seem to find myself carrying different items to keep up with a Scooter such as a slurp gun or speargun. I have gotten lazy also it seems as I’ve got older I do hate carrying all that equipment across the beach in the hot sun most of my diving has been off the side of a boat Which I intend to change some, It looks like a lot here have road trips and get to gathers on this beach dives and have a blast .If I’m not mistaken Gary down at Gulfdivers in Orange Beach rents the scooters give him a shout .

Regarding your question about the paddle wheeler, landmarks have changed somewhat since Ivan but continue pass the west beach pass, four telephone poles past it hit the water and go straight out

We all screwed up long ago when we made the decision to work for a liven it just don’t seem fare huh? Work can conflict a great deal in a mans fun time but hey keep posting your dive plans and sooner or later our paths may cross for a dive

tom wicker:
Regarding your question about the paddle wheeler, landmarks have changed somewhat since Ivan but continue pass the west beach pass, four telephone poles past it hit the water and go straight out

There are alot more poles now than the 4 shown on that 1986 map :D

Ok, I am gonna try the four poles and south. I am home from work and looking at my pole spear. This spear is 6 ft and has a trigger. It is called a Sea Hornet and made by T D Preech & Co of Sydney, Australia. The band connects at the end of the spear and the other end attaches to the trigger mechanism. You simply pull the trigger, slide the mechanism up the pole and release the trigger. The mechanism grips the pole wherever you release the trigger. Then you simply point and pull the trigger and the pole springs forward. I bought it back in the 80,s and would like to get me another one, but cannot find one. Any ideas?
Maybe we can all meet on the beach at the whiskey wreck one day. It would be nice to meet you guys. I will be the OLD man of the bunch for sure. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Mike

Port Tack:
Ok, I am gonna try the four poles and south. I am home from work and looking at my pole spear. This spear is 6 ft and has a trigger. It is called a Sea Hornet and made by T D Preech & Co of Sydney, Australia. The band connects at the end of the spear and the other end attaches to the trigger mechanism. You simply pull the trigger, slide the mechanism up the pole and release the trigger. The mechanism grips the pole wherever you release the trigger. Then you simply point and pull the trigger and the pole springs forward. I bought it back in the 80,s and would like to get me another one, but cannot find one. Any ideas?
Maybe we can all meet on the beach at the whiskey wreck one day. It would be nice to meet you guys. I will be the OLD man of the bunch for sure. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Mike

I shoot a sawedoff mag But at the moment I got a 55" woody in the blocks I just ordered the full Riffe kit Thurs. I think. It was from Chas up there in Daphne he seems to be a pretty cool guy. And he also made me some awesome pony tank prices needless to say the parts come in Fri and I’ll also walk out with a new pony. I would like to take a look at that spear setup you have I don’t believe I’ve seen one, we will have to get together to do some spearing and don’t think twice about the age you only got a few years on me my friend

Bluedog from over on spearboard showed a pic of a buddy of his that took one heck of a cobia off the Whiskey about a month ago “talk about being in the right place at the right time” You might want to check out that site for info on you spear there is some of the Seahornet main reps, on the site

Sounds like a Hawaiin sling, not a polespear.

When do you fellas want to get this Whiskey dive together? :D There has been more than one cobia shot off that wreck. I haven't been lucky enough to have tagged one on my own, but I know of several accounts.

I guess it is a Hawian Sling except it has a trigger. If you decide to do the Whiskey Wreck tomorrow and do not mind an old slow man, I am in. Just name the time.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom