Oceanic Alph 7 or Mares R2 Rebel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sneakysnook

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a new reg but need some help with deciding which one. I was thinking of a oceanic alpha 7 or mares r2 rebel so which one would be better. I also need one that I can use with nitrox. I know that the alpha I can but not sure about the R2.

Also is there a on-line store that you would recommend for me to buy from?

Both of those regs use an unbalanced piston first stage. They are utterly reliable, and have very few parts in both stages. If your dives are taking place in less than 100' of water that is warmer than 50 degrees they will work well. They will both breathe a bit harder as the tank pressure drops. This is because the intermediate pressure will lessen, so there is not as much force pushing on their second stage poppet seats. When such regs are serviced the second stage is adjusted at 3,000psi for that very same reason. If the second stage's cracking effort was set with a tank pressure of 1,000psi or less the reg would likely free flow when used with pressures over 2,500.

If you anticipate making more advanced dives in the future, I would suggest looking at a balanced piston or diaphragm first stage.

I believe that both of those regs are commonly sold on the net. I would do a search on some price checking sites. Leisure Pro would be another place to check.

Dive buddies and I have used the Mares R2 for a number of years on stage/deco bottles that are used in depths less than 100'. They are very easy for us to service and are super reliable.

If you are set on this type of reg, you might also want to look at ScubaPro's MK2 Plus regs. They are essentially the same type of unit.

Greg Barlow

I've never used the Mares r2, but I do use an Oceanic Alpha 7. It is a great breather and comes nitrox compatible right out of the box.

prittykitty:
I've never used the Mares r2, but I do use an Oceanic Alpha 7. It is a great breather and comes nitrox compatible right out of the box.

Good point. The Mares R2 is also EAN ready for mixes up to 40%.

Greg Barlow

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom