SP Mk11/R295 versus Atomic Z2 ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jerzy

Registered
Reaction score
Beginner question
I am about to purchase my first regulator.

The two I'm looking at are in the same price range and I have local service available for both. How do they compare? Which one is better?

ScubaPro Mk11/R295
or
Atomic Z2

Thanks
Jerzy

Hands down I would go for the Atomic Z2!

3 years ago I scrapped 3 Scubapro MK25/X650s, and I now own 3 Atomic M1s. Last week I bought a new Z1 rig on closeout for my son! All of the Atomic regs are balanced, and have adjustment knobs for cracking pressure on the second stages. The venturi system is automatic (activated by a pressure sensor) and it works well.

All of the different models breathe just about the same. The only real difference between the models of Atomic regs are the materials they are made from, features like swivels on some first and second stages, and cold water seals. Service interval is 2 years and the warranty is not dependent on maintaining the service schedule. No free service parts like SP, but what I save on service every other year pays for the parts.

Thanks for the info.
I am also leaning towards Z2 as I hear the adjustment feature is very useful. The bi-yearly Atomic maintenance and parts will cost $10 less then the yearly maintenance of ScubaPro (even though parts are free).
I did not know about the warranty of Atomic not being dependent on the maintenance, though getting a service done every 2 years is a prudent thing to do. But it's nice to know that if you forget - you don't void the warranty.
Thanks
Jerzy

Hey jerzy i have a atomic m1 and a z2 on my double been down to 160 in 34 deg water never let me down subapro's dont like cold water so if you ever want to dive cold atomic is the way to go

The Atomic breathes like a dream at any depth and can be environmentally sealed for very little money (it's a rubber ring and a tube of grease), so you can use it in freezing cold water, if you want.

Terry

Jerzy:
Beginner question
I am about to purchase my first regulator.

The two I'm looking at are in the same price range and I have local service available for both. How do they compare? Which one is better?

ScubaPro Mk11/R295
or
Atomic Z2

Thanks
Jerzy

One other thing, if the Z series doesn't have the Atomic swivel hose on the second stage, think about adding it. I find it helps to reduce jaw fatigue with the standard length hoses. I don't have the swivels on my M1 doubles rig (it's straight DIR). However on my single tank M1 Hog rig I do have the second stage swivels on my 7 ft primary hose, and my necklaced backup. I also put the swivel hose on my son's Z1. They are great hoses but a little pricey $$$. I wouldn't worry too much about a first stage swivel. Good luck.

When you say "MK11" you mean MK2, correct? (as in roman numerals) If so, that's the SP entry level unbalanced piston 1st stage, paired with the newer unbalanced 2nd. This is a really nice reliable inexpensive reg, but it should not be anywhere near the price of the atomic reg.

My LDS (a SP dealer) said stay away from the R295. The venturi is pre set and not adjustable for "pre dive". Could be prone to surface freeflows unless detuned (per LDS).
Chaulk up another score for the Atomic Z1 or Z2.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom