Reg seems to breathe harder when looking up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

for many regs, it is

on the other hand, there are many regs that breathe very well in almost any position
(upside down, sideways, head up, head down, etc.)

it doesn't mean your reg is unsafe, but it does mean that you should be careful, especially at depth

without any other sign of trouble (difficulty breathing in normal attitude, constant free-flow, etc.) i wouldn't worry about it

what brand reg do you have?

Hey, I have an older Aqualung Conshelf that does that same thing.

Apeks second stages breathe a little harder and a little wet when upside down and its pretty universal and normal...

I haven't tried my new atomics upside down yet...

lamont:
Apeks second stages breathe a little harder and a little wet when upside down and its pretty universal and normal...

I haven't tried my new atomics upside down yet...

Only have 3 dives on my M1's. But so far they breath the same in any position; dry and easy.

The Zeagles I used for a few dives breathed very wet when inverted; like a whole mouthful of water.

My old Oceanics breathed a little wet inverted, but not so much as to be disconcerting.

My Apeks second stage is slightly harder to breathe when I am on my back at depth - not wet though. Always a bit of a surprise when it happens as I am rarely in this position. I consider it normal.

allenwrench:
Reg seems to breathe harder when looking up? Is this normal?

Heard about it and people say it's normal. But never really experience that myself.

allenwrench:
Reg seems to breathe harder when looking up? Is this normal?

Mine does too- but I expect it and it's normal (so long as you have had it serviced by someone who knows what they/he/she is doing...).

I hardly notice it now- of course, I mainly dive tush up. I recently found, though, that at a 15 ft safety stop done out of principle- if I don't move and just hang there I tend to turn upside down- meaning my feet are straight up and my head is down. This has only happened once (3 dives on 1 day in 1 location- all 3 15 ft safety stops were done in relatively the same spot). But I had no trouble breathing and kind of enjoyed the change of perspective :) .

2nd stage case geometry will affect effort in different positions.

wunat:
Heard about it and people say it's normal. But never really experience that myself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom