Recent developments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bmaber

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi;
I am diving in Sharm El Sheikh at the start of Sept 28 - Oct 3, and from posts on this board I picked Empor Dive ctr. They seem very nice, and quite organized. Last year I dove in Mexico, the day after I booked their was a murder at our hotel in Mexico, a Candadian couple, this year I book in for Sharm El Sheikh and the next day I get this news story:

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/World/2006/08/30/pf-1785716.html

I have read lot on this board that say don't worry but I also know the Mossad has probably the best reputation in the spy game. Certainly more effeciant than the CIA. So I am am starting to get a bit jittery. Does anyone know any more about this threat, and what it is based on??

Also after the big bombing the goverment was building a security fence at Sharm, did they ever finish it? Is my hotel the Sol y Mar Belvedere in this protected area? Any thoughts. I am still going just wondering if anyone knows any more???

Email Emperor Divers direct. If they are as good as their reputation (and I know the founding owners) you should get a reply. Obviously they would not want to put you off - but if you ask careful, factual questions then they should give the replies.

Sharm is a busy place and an obvious target. If this bothers you why not swap to another, quieter, resort? We stayed at the Movenpick in El Gouna and the security at the hotel was very tight (scanning arch at the door). The hotel was amazing value for money and I have no hesitation in recommending the Dive Tribe who are based there. And we saw a whale shark.

Emperors, I think, may have dive operations at other resorts - perhaps you could ask them to suggest another location.

Interesting.

I hope it turns out to be a false alarm though. I'm still coming to Dahab this October.

bmaber:
Hi;

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/World/2006/08/30/pf-1785716.html

I have read lot on this board that say don't worry but I also know the Mossad has probably the best reputation in the spy game. Certainly more effeciant than the CIA. So I am am starting to get a bit jittery. Does anyone know any more about this threat, and what it is based on??

The mentioned above warning doesn't have much to do with what you call "Mossad".

As an Israeli, I can tell you that these warnings exist from time to time, and that there are times in which not many people really listen to them. There was one incident- I think it was the Hilton Taba bombing- in which there was some sort of terror attack warning like the one above. Although the warning was from a completely different nature (i.e. kidnapping of citizens, not the bombing of a hotel), it didn't refrain them from telling "we told you :no " afterwards

Myself- I don't take into consideration these warnings when choosing to go to Egypt and/or Sinai.

Hi
The following comments are based on my own findings and opnions:
I've been to Sharm on more than one accasion; the last being just a couple of weeks after the issues of last year. I went with my partner and kids...sorry young adults!

Security measures had been increased and was very clearly visible:
Went through checks to get onto hotel grounds and then again at the main entrance
Random road checks in and out of Sharm; all local people have to show ID and answer any Q's
Checks at port
Increased number of police out and about on the streets

Did I think about not going? No, I would not have taken family if I felt any concerns
Did I feel woried whilst on holiday? I honestly say no; in truth I actually felt very safe

For me; I knew someone who lost thier life in the UK bombings of last year and that day brought much loss and sadness to so many people, but whislt we mourn those we've loved and lost x.

For me and my family we need to continue with living our lives doing the day 2 day things: of course! Looking forward to and working towards to good quality family time: of which included return visits to Egypt...next one in Oct; and already on the count down!

As I started saying: these are the 'family' view points. All I can say is people need to come to their own decisions and if they have any major concerns then maybe they need to look at the alternatives; our leisure time is so very important and precious to us all we need to use the time to 'enjoy' 'relax' and if a person is going to spend the time worried then it impacts on the very nature of the holiday.

Regards
Kasha

2)

Back
Top Bottom