Need a smaller wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pdoege

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello -

I've been diving with a Halcyon BP and a 60# Explorer wing.

Unfortunately, it is a bit much for the rental AL 80s that I've been using. The wing tends to wrap around the tank, creating a nice sail. A real pain in an overhead environment.

I'm thinking of picking up a DiveRite TrekWing or a Halcyon 18/27# Pioneer.

I really like the size of the Pioneer 18, very small and compact. Has any one used it on a relatively deep (say 80ft) dive with a wetsuit and an AL80? Any comments on the Pioneer 27?

Finally, has anyone used the TrekWing in a similar configuration?

Thanks for the stories and advice.

Peter Doege

The pioneer 60's are designed for double tank steel diving with stages. This is WAY too much wing for what you need. Of course, you have already learned that. The 18 or 27 would be a much better choice. I would personally get the 27, as you can use this comfortably with steels if you ever end up diving single steel.

Looking at your question again, you said overhead environments. Are you doing any doubles diving?

Hello -

The big explorers came with the BP, so I've been using them while looking for something smaller.

I've been doing some limited overhead diving in some local springs, and the wing really catches on the rocks as it wraps aroung the tank. The rock dust gives it a nice "lived in" look.

The LDS is primarily a DiveRite dealer, hence my interest in the TrekWing. Still, I am leaning towards the smaller Pioneers.

Peter Doege

I'd recommend the Pioneer 27 lb. I'm using that and IMHO, its the best single tank wing available currently. Perfect if ur diving singles AL 80 and a wetsuit. I sometimes carry an AL40 stage bottle and it still provides sufficient lift.

The 18lb wing may be a bit tough to float u properly on the surface if the ocean is rough, in my opinion.

and like it a lot.

Its probably more than I need for open water with a single tank, but it allows me to dive wet with virtually any exposure protection and still be ok. I'd be concerned with the smaller wings if you need heavy (5-7mil) wetsuit protection at depth.

I use the 27# wing and like it a lot. I'm not sure if they still make the 18# wing.

I hate to ask this, so maybe instead of asking, I should just make a statement. Make sure you are trained for overhead if you are diving in overhead environments. A simple innocent 'I'll just take a peek inside' or 'I won't go to far in' is an easy way to get killed. Trust me I've seen it before.

Hello Wendy -

I don't intend to die in some cave. Several springs up in Alachua have overhead environments that OW divers can dive. That is where I've been going.

Many dive boats have been canceling trips because of the various storms, so my buddy and I have been doing freshwater dives.

Anyway, I'll see if I can rent a Pioneer 27# wing for this weekend.

Peter Doege

Peter,

I'm curious. What types of overhead environs do these springs have? Is is a cave, cavern, or ???

DD,

I know the springs that he is probably talking about. The overhead environments are caverns with large guideline running through it. They do not go far back, and have large openings that allow LOTS of light to come through. There is no cave that allows OW divers to go in.

Hello -

There are two sites in particular that I've been diving. One is Devil's Den, the other is Ginnie springs.

Of the two, I'd say that ginnie springs is the better one. Both are a lot of fun.

http://www.devilsden.com
http://www.ginniespringsoutdoors.com

The Ginnie springs cavern is about 51 feet deep and about 100 feet in length. Devil's Den was about 43 feet deep and is a bowl shaped cavern.

Both are quite a bit different from OW diving.

Peter Doege

Back
Top Bottom