Apex 1 freeflow question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

J.R.

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I'm using a Legend 1st & 2nd stage primary regulator and an AirSource. As I recently added a molded mouthpiece to my regulator I thought I'd do any potential buddy the courtesy of adding an octopus reg so they didn' have to work with a mouthpiece designed for my face.

First octo (another AquaLung product) I picked up turned out to not supposed to be used with the Legend 1st stage (said so in the manual that came inside the packaging)...

Ok... no problem... second choice was the Apex 1.

Problem is... once I hooked it up to the tank and pressed the purge valve it went into a free-flow mode. [For info: light taps on the purge valve = no problem... but a short firm-ish press will kick it into free-flow every time). Placing your thumb lightly over the hole in the mouthpiece will stop it...

The diveshop owner didn't seem concerned... but it seems to me that this ain't right... under any conditions... and might result in a disconcerting experience during an actual emergency situation...

Anybody know of any compatability problems in the setup? Is the Apex problem just an adjustment issue?

Enquiring minds...
J.R.

Sounds like an adjustment problem in the 2nd stage (APEKS correct?)...but hard to determine without seeing it in person. The minimum your LDS should do is have a look and have some degree of concern. Personally, as a reg. tech myself I would check interstage pressure from your Legend + see if the Apeks is sticking inside.

J.R.:
I'm using a Legend 1st & 2nd stage primary regulator and an AirSource. As I recently added a molded mouthpiece to my regulator I thought I'd do any potential buddy the courtesy of adding an octopus reg so they didn' have to work with a mouthpiece designed for my face.

First octo (another AquaLung product) I picked up turned out to not supposed to be used with the Legend 1st stage (said so in the manual that came inside the packaging)...

Ok... no problem... second choice was the Apex 1.

Problem is... once I hooked it up to the tank and pressed the purge valve it went into a free-flow mode. [For info: light taps on the purge valve = no problem... but a short firm-ish press will kick it into free-flow every time). Placing your thumb lightly over the hole in the mouthpiece will stop it...

The diveshop owner didn't seem concerned... but it seems to me that this ain't right... under any conditions... and might result in a disconcerting experience during an actual emergency situation...

Anybody know of any compatability problems in the setup? Is the Apex problem just an adjustment issue?

Enquiring minds...
J.R.

Yep.. ApeK...

Thanks... its a new regulator so the adjustment thing sounds (considering I'm not a tech) reasonable... Guess its already time to make a trip back to the store for a checkup on it... better safe than sorry...

J.R.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom