How long to you inhale/exhale?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adza

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi,

Just a curious question. We all know that one of the tricks to conserving gas/air is to inhale and exhale slowly and deeply. I was curious - how long do you take (in secs) to fully inhale and exhale?

(On the odd occasion I've got a headache immediately after surfacing, and have wondered if I've breathed too slowly)

I too was quite prone to headaches when I started diving you may find Nitrox will eleviate that problem .Other possibility is bad gas ? Just breath normaly .

As long as you are oxygenating, breathing too slowly isn't a concern.

adza:
Hi,

Just a curious question. We all know that one of the tricks to conserving gas/air is to inhale and exhale slowly and deeply. I was curious - how long do you take (in secs) to fully inhale and exhale?

(On the odd occasion I've got a headache immediately after surfacing, and have wondered if I've breathed too slowly)

I never timed it. Often in close quarters my breathing is regulated more by buoyancy control requirements than respiration needs. Depending on the moment I will sometimes notice that my rate is surprisingly slow.

I think the key is to be relaxed and breathe naturally. If you are comfortable then the multiple atmospheres will present more oxygen than you know what to do with. Making sure you exhale well will clear the carbon dioxide and prevent headaches. Good exhales will also apease the breathing need since carbon dioxide is the trigger. Put together a natural slow breathing pattern should evolve.

If you have challenges that are keeping you from relaxing, like "mastering" buoyancy those thinks are going to be the key. If you tend to flap your arms that's a red flag.

Work on your diving and the rate will happen. Prescribing a breathing pattern IMO is like me telling you what you should wear for weight from here.

Headaches can also come from a tight mask or the need for a prescription mask to name a few.

Pete

I thought the exhale cycle was three times longer than inspiration.

So, you should keep the ratio I/E 1:3.

I'm usually more confortable with a slow inhale.... go figure.

Doing a quick and dirty timing right now with a wristwatch.. 7-10 seconds to completely inhale and exhale.
Underwater however it may be different, as youll use your breath to control bouyancy for example.

I'm not a fan of tricks, instead I tend to breathe like I do on the surface when I'm not working hard. More like I'm resting, so it's sort of in the range of 6 seconds inhale and exhale.

I used to get headaches by trying to stretch my cycle out, finally decided to breathe normally insuring a full inhalation cycle and I haven't had a headache in a couple years now.

I've gotten a headache from count cycles more times than not. Try an Aerobic workout a few (2-3) times a week and then breathe normal in scuba. There will be times your air consumption will be lower or higher, sometimes depending on your level of fatigue,or stress, but you have to breathe at your what would seem your normal rate in order to process gas(es) completely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom