Kayak diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KazInAz

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was just reading a thread over in SOCal. about kayak diving.
Has anyone done any here in Lake Pleasant?
I've been interested in learning to kayak for a few years now and it seems like a good way to find more dive sites at the lake.
Was also looking at a waterproof depthfinder.
Any local experience out there?

I kayak quite a bit in the lake. You need to stick close to the shore or else get run over by the jet skis and other racing boats. I dove off my Kayak. It was a bit uncomfortable with all the gear. The other issue is you need to tether the boat to your arm or someone will run off with your Kayak.

Yes, someone in a boat (regardless of my flag) tried to take my Kayak while I was holding on to the line. When I surfaced and started yelling at them, they flipped me off and drove away.

Scuba Specialties had a DiveYak on the wall forever. It was like $400 and always wanted to take it out for a test dive. Never did, now it's gone.

Anytime you want to go Kayaking, let me know. We can get in a shore dive or two then, surface interval in the Yak.

jcf

I've always wanted to do that ever since I saw James' Kayak racks and looked at a couple sites online.

As for fathometer used in scuba check out this thread
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=163593&highlight=depth+finder

I dove with Christian (aka Headhunter) in La Jolla shores, he had one and it's damn nice to know when to drop down instead of burning all your air up over the sand or dropping in the middle of the canyon. Those surface swims out to the walls are killer!

-Garrett

I teach a Kayak Diving Specialty. My shop is in Yuma, but I'd be happy to come up to Phoenix area for some classes. Its a 4 dive specialty, approved by PADI. Great fun, you'd really enjoy it. Let me know if any of you are interested.

scubajcf:
Yes, someone in a boat (regardless of my flag) tried to take my Kayak while I was holding on to the line. When I surfaced and started yelling at them, they flipped me off and drove away.

Like you didn't expect that? :D You know if they're gonna swipe your dive flag, then a Kayak doesn't stand a chance!

scubajcf:
Anytime you want to go Kayaking, let me know. We can get in a shore dive or two then, surface interval in the Yak.

Now that's the way to do it!

KazInAz:
Thanks for the info. I'll let you know. First I need to learn how to kayak I guess.

Learning to use the kayak is part of the class. I teach some paddling techniques, getting off & on, rescue techniques, securing gear, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom