Fixing a scooter shell

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikerault

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a scooter that has one fin that has cracked away from the body causing a flood of the motor compartment. Luckily it was in fresh water so no lasting damage. However, how can this be repaired? I tried marine epoxy, no go, gorilla glue, no go. Would Aquaseal work on this? Any other suggestions? I thought maybe acrylic laquer thinner might work...I used to use it to bond plastic parts together by letting them bond to each other.

Mike

What kind of scooter? N

Well, JahJah, I ask because I can fix (just about) anything and have done so my entire life. Furthermore, the material that the housing is constructed from has some bearing upon the procedure for repairing--or not.

DSCF0268.jpg

In this picture you can see that the upper bulkehad has some "pink stuff" on them. The standoffs have been cracked and broken probably from being dropped. This material is hard to work with and my repair was to roughen the material and then fill the standoffs with EA9309 mixed with chopped fiberglass. On the exterior I roughed the plastic and wound it with glass and then painted it with EA9309. Some materials cannot be repaired. Some polyethelyne type materials resist all methods of bonding but can be welded.

If it is a SeaDoo, I would not bother with a repair, just get another or purchase the housing new and replace it.

N

From the description of the damage I suspect your out of luck. Bye.
N

It is a Sea-Doo clone called the Dolphin I already ordered the replacment scooter so I thought I would experiment on this one to see what can be done. Here is a shot of the damage:

Probably from low temp and getting banged or dropped.

Mike

mikerault:
It is a Sea-Doo clone called the Dolphin I already ordered the replacment scooter so I thought I would experiment on this one to see what can be done. Here is a shot of the damage:

Probably from low temp and getting banged or dropped.

Mike

What type of material is the body? Glues may not get the job done here? I have used plastic solvents and fused parts together. Perhaps you get lucky?

I've used ethylene dichloride, plexi solvents etc. I am sure there are some folks here quite familiar with welding plastic parts.

Best,

X

mikerault:
I have a scooter that has one fin that has cracked away from the body causing a flood of the motor compartment. Luckily it was in fresh water so no lasting damage. However, how can this be repaired? I tried marine epoxy, no go, gorilla glue, no go. Would Aquaseal work on this? Any other suggestions? I thought maybe acrylic laquer thinner might work...I used to use it to bond plastic parts together by letting them bond to each other.

Mike

Fin? Do you mean a prop blade? A broken blade will cause the prop shaft to oscillate and the the seal to leak. But you know this. Why screw around? If the repair isn't perfect, you'll still have oscillation, and more leaking, even if the blade doesn't break again. Just get a new blade.

Look at the picture, when I say fin, I mean fin, there are three fins integral with the lower housing, one has broken away from the lower housing laving a hole into which water leaks. If it had been a broken or cracked prop I would have said prop.

It will probably respond to the acrylic laquer thinner I'll bet. I'll give it try.

Mike

mikerault:
Look at the picture, when I say fin, I mean fin, there are three fins integral with the lower housing, one has broken away from the lower housing laving a hole into which water leaks. If it had been a broken or cracked prop I would have said prop.

It will probably respond to the acrylic laquer thinner I'll bet. I'll give it try.

Mike

Let us know how your repair goes. Plastics are always fun to screwaround with. I've fused ABS, plexi, styrene with solvent and who knows what. Hey, it's always worth a shot.

X

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom