Newbie about to buy second hand gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divedownunder

Registered
Reaction score
Hi I am in New Zealand, this is my first post on these boards although I have read them for sometime. I have done a few dives on my padi OW course and have been offered some second hand dive gear,
Any advise would be muchly appreciated

The guy wants $700nz($487 us) for

Sherwood brute Regulator(used 3 times)
Sherwood standard octi(used 3 times)
Entry Level Performance Diver spg and depth gauge(NEW)
Dacor Fins, old and scratched up but fit and work.
booties, few cuts but ok condition
8 Year old Dacor Nautica BCD
Performance Diver Gear Bag
Performance Diver Gloves(new)

I will be diving to only 18 metres deep, hunting for crayfish and gathering shellfish.
Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated

Cheers divedownunder

I have always heard great things about Sherwood, in fact many dive resorts rent Sherwood Brut regs because of their reliability and durability, I dove a Sherwood brut during my basic OW course and loved it, However I felt like I might quickly outgrow it and would long to have a reg with more bells and whistles. Watch out though, many scuba magazines often describe diving accidents where divers use gear that either hasn't been serviced annually, or has not been checked out by "service professionals" prior to a dive. I have a few "used" regs as you describe, I also purchased a used dry suit recently and actually support buying used equipment if you know what you are getting, just have it checked out . Maybe you could have the gear looked at prior to the purchase? lastly make sure that the new equipment's warranty is transferable, many are only good for the original owner....just my $.02

Make sure anything you buy can be serviced locally, otherwise its going to be a pain getting that done.

How old is the Sherwood regulator setup...I have a brut setup that sounds like yours and it is at least 5-7 years old...only three dives? Price seems a bit high as I got a brut, a magnum, a three gauge console and a BCD (Calypso, old but in great shape) for $177 bucks....

Sorry, I think he's looking to unload on you. You could probably buy new online for not much more than that price.

The Brut is their lowest end model, not unreliable or unsafe but unbalanced. It is a model that has been around for a long time and there are several different styles. You want the latest style with the SRB5000 first stage for any Sherwood reg you buy.

The Nauticus is an obsolete low-end design that isn't worth $50 on the used market.

Brand new Sherwood Brut - $150

Brand new Sherwood octo - $70

Brand new Dacor Falcon - $225 (The Falcon is a much better BC than the Nauticus, back inflation and weight integrated.)

Brand new Genesis 2-gauge console - $110

Don't even worry about the little stuff. I'm not recommending the above items or the above sellers, I'm just illustrating what is available that is similar with a quick Ebay search. You can beat even these prices by shopping around and being patient. I like to find great deals myself but I wouldn't go with the Brut. At least move up to the Magnum or Oasis. Some say you're better off buying a quality used reg like the Abyss than a new low end reg.

But if you buy a used reg, know it's history. I don't know how well you know or trust this guy, but it's easy to say "only x dives on it". Unless you know it for a fact, take it with a grain of salt. If you have to sink money into a full overhaul you've lost the upfront savings. It's a bit safer to buy a BC and gauges used. You can easily check a BC for leaks and mechanical function, and gauges are usually not much trouble.

I think the OP's problem is that he is in New Zealand so shipping may be a problem. BTW, Dive US has a Sherwood Magnum for $178 which is much better than the Brut.
I am not sure why Reef Hound advocates the newest style but watch out for the very old ones (late 80's) The piston will need to be replaced and they charge $100 US to do it.

ams511:
I think the OP's problem is that he is in New Zealand so shipping may be a problem. BTW, Dive US has a Sherwood Magnum for $178 which is much better than the Brut.
I am not sure why Reef Hound advocates the newest style but watch out for the very old ones (late 80's) The piston will need to be replaced and they charge $100 US to do it.

That's why, the older styles will be harder to get parts and more expensive to service.

Shipping may be more to NZ but worth it.

Thanks alot for all your advice:D

got me some reasonable gear and loving the diving..... now i just gotta find out how long crayfish last packed in ice HAHAHAAAA

Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom