Wet Suits... Can't make up my mind... HELP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SubZeroOC

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, so I am getting back into diving.. I have been out of it for a few years now... I am currently in the process of purchasing all new gear/equipment. In regards to wetsuits, I am think of either the Oneill 7000x J Type Firewall w/hood 7mm or Oneill Sector Firewall w/hood also 7mm... I live in SO cali so need something to keep me warm enough... I was told by my dive buddy that the Oneills keep you much warmer but the Henderson is VERY comfortable... ANY FEEDBACK/PERSONAL EXPERIENCE???

Thanks

I have the 7000x J-type and have been very happy with it. I haven't gotten cold on any dives here in Monterey, even in water a bit below 50. I like having hte integrated vest and hood. Of course it is a really bulky suit with all the extra stuff, but it is comfrotable to wear.

Thanks for the reply... my only concern was the addition core sheilding which makes it a 12mm core... isnt it TOO bulky?

SubZeroOC:
Thanks for the reply... my only concern was the addition core sheilding which makes it a 12mm core... isnt it TOO bulky?

It's the price of admission to cold water diving.

Consider some good steel air cylinders to offset the extra weight the neoprene will require.

If correctly fitted your freedom of movement and general comfort should not be an issue at all.

Pete

If you dive a lot, consider getting two. Having a dry one for the second dive, after the SI, is wonderful.

Rationalize it by remembering your wetsuits will last twice as long.

Think in terms of mileage. I use Henderson's but I think the more comfortable "cell" might mean they are less insulating. I hear there is a new hyperstretch fabric out there in a suit priced half of Henderson. Ask Larry at Scubatoys?

A vest and hood for where you are is mandatory, I would think. I like the Henderson vest with hood because very easy to get on and the top of the head is vented.

I've got a Tilos 7/5mm Semi-Dry Titanium and I love it. They range in price from $125 - $160. It's a great suit. The seals are perfect (neck, ankle, wrist). VERY comfertable and very warm. I took mine in 62 degree water for 15 minutes as a test before I went diving to see how much weight I needed and I was mostly dry with only a couple small spots of water (which didn't really feel cold). The suit slides right on and is co comfertable I could comfertably ware it around the house and watch TV (not that I do). Look for the SEMI-DRY? thread for more info on Semi-Dry suits.

I'll again toss in the suggestion of a custom wetsuit. New Wave Wetsuits in Fullerton made mine. It a full 7mm. This suit with gloves and hood, work perfect here in SoCal.
BTW, they modified my Henderson hood, man what a diffrence it makes.

Dave

Thank you for all of the feedback... I guess it mostly comes down to personal preference...

SubZeroOC:

I haven't had an issue with it being too bulky, it is less bulky than wearing a farmer john & jacket 7mm and it's nice being able to let the top hang between dives or before a dive when teh weather is warm enough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom