Booties or slippers for full foot fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sytech

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have always used open heel fins with the straps with a pair of zip-up booties.

For warm water diving I want to get a pair of full foot fins which are light for traveling.

I want to get a simple pair of booties or rubber "slippers" to wear inside the fins because their rubber bottoms are very important when I get back into the boat to avoid slipping.

Any comments or recommendations will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sy

That's a tough one. Full-foot fins are meant to fit tightly, like a pair of shoes. You get more control that way. If you MUST wear booties, you might as well use open-heel fins, it seems to me.

I think wearing booties with full foot fins defeats much of the point.

Have you actually had problems with slipping or just think you might? Pretty much every warm water boat I've been on has some kind of non slip surface and barefoot is the most popular footwear.

When wearing my zip-up booties they defintely give me more support and traction.

Last year I rented a pair of full fit fins which caused so much friction (even though the sizing was right) on my right big toe that I developed a nasty infecion and almost had to see a doctor. Now I always wear a pair of nylon liners inside my booties. Problem is that I could wear them under the full foot fins but once I get on deck the liners are slippery themselves.

I saw these things called "dive socks" (not liners) and think they may do the trick. At least I hope so.

Thanks,

Sy

Damselfish:
I think wearing booties with full foot fins defeats much of the point.

Have you actually had problems with slipping or just think you might? Pretty much every warm water boat I've been on has some kind of non slip surface and barefoot is the most popular footwear.

When I started diving back in the late 1960s here in the UK, full-foot fins were the norm for pool and sea use. Back then, open heel fins were for divers who couldn't afford full-foot fins. They were often worn with neoprene wetsuit bootees and many divers of the time had two pairs, one for barefoot use and one for use with some kind of sock or boot.

There is some footwear available nowadays for use with full-foot fins, e.g.

* fins socks made of lycra or thin neoprene (also popular in swim training and bodyboard surfing):
http://www.amazon.com/DEEP-SEE-LYCRA-FIN-SOCKS/dp/B000EJ0J4E
http://www.orcasurf.co.uk/acatalog/Accessories.html

* latex dry socks which can be worn as a waterproof covering over ordinary socks
http://www.tidemaster.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?products_id=51

Personally, I prefer to snorkel in the North Sea using full-foot fins worn over a vintage-style drysuit with footed pants, which keeps my whole body warm including my feet.

I also like to use full foot pocket fins in warm water diving (when not so much current is expected). I use Tusa split fins along with Deep See lycra socks. The fins foot pocket is really soft and conforming to the foot, and I have used them now 2 1/2 years without a single sore spot on my feet. I wear the lycra socks to prevent spots to get stung by nasties in the water, and to make it easier to slide on the fins. They are very nice.... Good luck, Robin

I recently did a liveaboard and I have full foot fins that I bought for tropical diving. The dive socks/slippers were a must because otherwise you may develop nasty blisters.

I didn't have any problems with traction in my bare feet or in the slippers - generally boats do not have slippery surfaces - particularly in the wet zones.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom