New to the hood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divad

Contributor
Reaction score
What thickness hood do <you> use in what temperature water with a drysuit?

I have a 7mm hood, and wear it all the time if the water is below 75F. I wish someone made a proper 3mm or 5mm hood.

7mm hood here too...and dive it in temps ranging from mid-30's to mid-70's. I second Perrone's comments on hood manufacture. :)

Cheers,
Austin

I use a 7mm hood as well. I tend to go without it if the water temp is above 70ish or so, or if the dive is long.

PerroneFord:
I wish someone made a proper 3mm or 5mm hood.

The above sentence indicates what I'm getting at. Nice inference. By proper, do you mean one that seals?

No I mean one that is a real HOOD and not a beanie.

PerroneFord:
No I mean one that is a real HOOD and not a beanie.

I've been looking at 5mm ones that are the same design as 7mm ones. Are they probably both beanies (love that word)? What makes a real hood a real hood?

A hood covers the full head and neck and seals to the neck seal. A beanie typically only covers the top of the head and maybe the ears, but not the neck. It fastens under the chin.

Most dry hoods are 7mm. I use the Bare 7mm tech dry hood. I guess they figure if you're diving dry you need a 7mm hood.

Divin'Hoosier:
Most dry hoods are 7mm. I use the Bare 7mm tech dry hood. I guess they figure if you're diving dry you need a 7mm hood.

Obviously, they've never done any caving or been in a Florida spring. That 68F water gets a bit chilly after a couple hours.

Divin'Hoosier:
A hood covers the full head and neck and seals to the neck seal. A beanie typically only covers the top of the head and maybe the ears, but not the neck. It fastens under the chin.

Thanks, I have a beanie. I'm trying to understand if by "real HOOD", he mean't one that, say, covers the neck well.

Back
Top Bottom