Dryglove failure?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

np251

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all

How many of the dryglove users out there have EVER had one fail? No one ive spoken to has, and im contemplating removing my latex seals because they are a PITA...

So, if i remove my seals, how much of a statistical chance do i have of completely flooding my suit and dying? I use the big honking DC blue gloves, and dont ever touch anything under the water and i dont do wrecks so im not a magnet for razor sharp steel shards.

additionally, my seals have always been leaky anyway- the whole deep tendon thing- so ill probably still flood my suit with them on, only a little slower...

Cheers

I just got rings and drygloves for my viking. I have only had them on 3 times but having dry hands is great 40 degree water this last weekend and my hands where fine. Not sure about removing your seals.
Later.

Hundreds of dives. Never, ever a mid-dive failure.

I have had three times where I closed the fluffy yellow inner glove in the ring. I ditched those, and it hasn't happened since.

I've punctured two mid-dive - so not a failure. More seepage.

Dry Gloves rule.

I was diving with someone this weekend. She had a custom DUI suit, top-of-the line DUI undies, etc. Her rig it top notch - BP/W, etc. She makes an excellent living, she's smart, funny, engaged... and she dives wet hands.

I was poking her about it. Telling her to embrace the technology. I demanded when she get home she get a push button phone, and get dry gloves.

:D :D :D

---
Ken

My SiTech gloves often flood (though much less often as I've become more used to what's needed to prevent leaks). So far, I'm glad I have the seals in place. Have been diving wet gloves under the dry gloves for the last 20 dives, but I plan to ditch them this weekend (four dive trips now without any floods). I hear that the other dry gloves are less prone to flooding...

My buddy's use the SiTech gloves and they frequently have failures. I'd say 50% of the time I dive with them they have leaks, sometimes minor and other times major.

My Viking ring system has NEVER failed. I think they key is this, use a ring system where the glove goes over the ring and not one that uses an O ring and all will be well forever.

I'm 2 for 2 in not sealing my si-tech gloves right and flooding my hand (different hand each time). Can you guys share "what's needed" to prevent leaks? I swear I've checked them and rechecked them before hitting the water, but I still flood them.

Thanks,
Greg.

Suggestions based on what I've done that's helped:

(1) Tape down any extra glove material so that it can't catch in the seal.

(2) Light lube on the o-ring (yes, I know it says not to).

(3) Wax the plastic rings.

(4) Spin the rings fully open before you start putting the gloves on.

(5) Be VERY careful to keep the glove and wrist rings aligned (squarely) as you push the two together. Go slowly. If you have any doubt about the o-ring coming out of its groove, start again.

If I were ever going to be brave enough to get rid of my inner seals, it would be with the Viking bayonet ring system I use. I've had them a year, and I have had ONE glove flood, and that was apparently a nick in the plastic of the glove side ring. All my dive buddies have had repeated glove floods, usually at the beginning of a dive, but not me.

I'm still not brave enough to take the inner seals off. I've had a flooded suit, and it was a horrible experience, and I have no desire to repeat it.

I've failed to get my siTech rings properly aligned when donning them and I rolled the o-ring which let the glove leak. I did a 55 minute dive in 40ish degree water with one hand soaked...I didn't die. I did start shivering violently right before we ended the dive. I like having my seals because I dive wet gloves in warmer water. If you're worried about dying from a flooded glove then either leave the seals in or don't dive in conditions where you cannot abort the dive and surface in a timely manner.
Ber :lilbunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom