Exposure suit choices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Archhill Divers

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,
I'll be mostly diving in New Hampshire and off the New Hampshire coast probably between June 1st and September 1st and was trying to decide between these two suits in combo with a the following hood/vest which I can get through my LDS:

Pinnacle Merino lined 3mm Seal with a Pinnacle Merino lined 5mm hood / 3mm attached vest or:
Pinnacle Merino lined 5/4mm Fusion with the same hood / vest combo?

I thought that the 3mm suit without the hood/vest may be useful in tropical settings and then I could combine the hood/vest for use in NH, but maybe I need the 5/4 suit with the hood/vest combo for my area of frequent diving? I do not get cold easily but am new to diving and any input would be great! Some people have said that you do not need a suit in the Carribean and some people say you do. It is confusing to say the least. I cannot afford both the 3mm and 5/4mm setups at this time.
Thanks!

I wouldn't dive in local waters (even in the summer) in anything less than a 7mm suit + hooded vest (4/6mm). That's just me. I'll be diving this summer in my dry suit. I don't think there's any chance you'd be warm in a 3mm + hooded vest (that's what I'd wear in waters in the low to mid-70s). Water here rarely gets above 50, especially at depth. I own a 3mm suit, but wouldn't dream of pulling it out for local diving.

Archhill Divers:
Hi,
I'll be mostly diving in New Hampshire and off the New Hampshire coast probably between June 1st and September 1st and was trying to decide between these two suits in combo with a the following hood/vest which I can get through my LDS:

Pinnacle Merino lined 3mm Seal with a Pinnacle Merino lined 5mm hood / 3mm attached vest or:
Pinnacle Merino lined 5/4mm Fusion with the same hood / vest combo?

I thought that the 3mm suit without the hood/vest may be useful in tropical settings and then I could combine the hood/vest for use in NH, but maybe I need the 5/4 suit with the hood/vest combo for my area of frequent diving? I do not get cold easily but am new to diving and any input would be great! Some people have said that you do not need a suit in the Carribean and some people say you do. It is confusing to say the least. I cannot afford both the 3mm and 5/4mm setups at this time.
Thanks!

I dive in Ohio in a 7mm 2 piece wetsuit, pretty much year round. In a small, shallow quarry I have been able to dive in a 3mm, but not in any decent size bodies of water.

I'd recommend you look at a good 7mm suit.

Ken

stevead:
Rainer's got it right. 7mm is the minmum, but think about dry before buying a 7. DUI is doing demo days the weekend of may 5-6 at stage fort park in gloucester ma.

Agreed. Think about going dry. The cost of my used DS is just north of what I paid for a new 7mm suit and 4/6mm hooded vest. Take a guess which one sees more water time, especially in the winter. DUI demo days are a great way to at least experience a dry suit. At $8 including lunch and unlimited rentals for the day, it's not exactly breaking the bank.

I remember being a bit hot in my 2-piece 7mm, but I was very comfortable in the one piece. (And you know we'll be diving the same waters!)
I haven't done any fresh water, though, do any northerners have advice about different needs for fresh water vs. the Atlantic?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom