Different Packages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't like any of these packages. Consider holding off till you can pay between $700-$1,000 for your set-up and do it right from the start.
I'm sure Diver's Supply or Scuba Toys will be able to make you a nice set-up for your style of diving for that $700 to $1k price range.
Just my 2 cents.
Good luck buying!

The Joe Diver Mares package looks like the one that I used for my cert. class. Everything was ok. I purchased a Mares package (you can view in my profile) and spent a bit more ofr it, but the differencee was quite noticeable. If you can, wait until you can afford a better package. Or consider buying in stages....start with a nice set of regs.
Keep your eyes open. Good deals come by often.

My opinion will differ from the first two a little.

If you are looking into buying your own gear, you must think that you are going to be diving a while? I looked at your profile, and since there were no specifics I assume that you are newly certified or are working on certification.

As a new diver myself, let me tell you the approach that I took and what I am looking at now.

I have wanted to dive for 20 years, and was just recently able to start. So to start with, I purchased a package very similar to the ones that you are looking at. I slowly built my gear package after the initial purchase. My initial purchase was very close to the one you are looking at from Leisure Pro (actually, that is where I ordered the package from). I have been very satisfied with my package. However, there are some things to keep in mind.

You are purchasing gear with a limited knowledge (even though I read everything having to do with diving, I still had limited knowledge), and you are going to base many thoughts and opinions on this (and other) gear. Do I regret buying my package? Absolutely not! It is just that as you get more experience you are going to realize "I don't like this, or I do like that". That is just the way it goes. You are really going to learn your likes and dislikes about many things.

On a positive note, as you learn your likes and dislikes and buy new gear, you will always have a backup should something happen (short notice dive while your regs are getting serviced, etc.).

You are going about things the same way that I have (except you look like you are getting off cheaper!:D ), and I don't regret any of it.

Knowing what I know now, I would go with package number 2 from Joe Diver. Then just see where your preferences lay. If you are like me, it is hard to drop close to $1,000 in one lump for gear, but spending a few hundred at a time seems to make the blow a little easier to come back from.

Just my .02 worth. Hope it helps.

Dark Wolf

If you want to get buy without spending much... I'm actually in agreement with a lot of the other posters here. I would not buy a full cheap set... I would just do it in stages. Maybe just get a nice BC. Then later grab a reg setup. Or vice versa...

It's also pretty tough for folks here to give you great advice without asking you a bunch of questions... Are you diving cold? Warm? Traveling alot? Mainly diving Local? How many times a year do you think you'll go? Is having a manufacturers warranty important to you? etc.

Those three packages are pretty comparable. They are all ok. You need to ask yourself a couple of questions about those set-ups though. Do you think you might want integrated weights? You could upgrade the BC to an integrated one for just a few dollars. Do you think you'll ever use a drysuit? While there is nothing wrong with a piston regulator the hose routing is just not convenient for a dry suit hose. There is nothing wrong with diving on a budget but I hate to see anyone buy something they will later have to replace.

Oops! I have to start paying attention to the dates! Sorry. Didn't realize this was from May!

Back
Top Bottom