On my way for an extended trip to Egypt!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JiveMaster

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello Everyone! My name is Elliott and I will see you guys soon, I just booked a 1 way ticket to Cairo on the 29th of May :D. I'm not sure exactly where I'm going but I'm planning to go for at least my DM in Egypt. I was thinking of doing advanced, rescue and DM each in different locations, then maybe head to Marsa Alam for a while. Wondering, what are your favorite locations and what operators would you recommend as far as training?? I'm thinking Sharm, Dahab, Hurgada, and Marsa Alam.

Thanks for your advice, looking forward to meeting some of you!

hi - you gonna have lots of fun.

i would suggest, go to dahab for your education. could be worthwhile to stay with one operator up to dm or even instructor. same applies for sharm and hurghada. however sharm will cost you more. and hurghada is more mass tourist rather then diving.

marsa alam is in retrospect with the other dest. a region. marsa alam itself is just a little (hik)town with a gas station and at least one shop. over a strech of say 50km there are a few resorts located.

I am SO jealous! I loved Egypt when I was there in 2001.

Have a great time!

Yep, do your schooling in Dahab, then get down the road to Marsa Alam. Stay at Red Sea Diving Safari's camp at Marsa Shagra, then head down to their camp at Wadi Lahami. I've stayed twice at Shagra and returned three weeks ago from Lahami. Who cares if there's only a gas station? The camps are outstanding!

Phil

Sounds like a plan, can anyone recommend a specific operation to do my education in Dahab? Of course I'm looking to get the best education possible here...

quality equals price?

stay a few days in cairo then go to dahab (coach?) book a hotel ahead for a few nights and then just shop around. of cours you can do the same via internet beforehand. just make up your mind, do you wanna stay down town dahab and work with one of these outfits or the probably moore reputable outfits stay in the large hotels. but they are all located on the outskirts of dahab.

DutchDown:
Yep, do your schooling in Dahab, then get down the road to Marsa Alam. Stay at Red Sea Diving Safari's camp at Marsa Shagra, then head down to their camp at Wadi Lahami. I've stayed twice at Shagra and returned three weeks ago from Lahami. Who cares if there's only a gas station? The camps are outstanding!

Phil

I'll second this thought. The further I get away from the big tourist centres, the better I like it. YYMV.

Marsa Shagra is terrific.

R..

Diver0001:
I'll second this thought. The further I get away from the big tourist centres, the better I like it. YYMV.

Marsa Shagra is terrific.

R..

At least 3rd vote for Dahab - ACE place. Some wicked dives.

If you find a totally Windless day try "The Islands" for amazing sites..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom