A couple of questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

taliesin58

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am still new to diving, and I have a couple of questions about gear.

1. I just got a new octopus and spg, and I want to change the routing of my hoses. Am I ok to do that myself with a wrench, or should I take it to a dive shop?

2. I currently have a BP/W. I purchased some extra webbing incase I need to replace my harness. However, the harness that I bought for the BP has a grommet in the middle. If and when I replace the harness with the webbing I bought, how to I install a grommet on the webbing?

you can change the hoses yourself. just make sure you don't over-tighten. tight and a little more should do

just FYI, there are high pressure ports and low pressure ports on the first stage. the pressure gauge goes on a high pressure port.

everything else goes on a low pressure port

they are made so you can't put one in the other by mistake

not sure about 2

taliesin58:
...how do I install a grommet on the webbing?
Coupla options. First, they actually make grommet kits. You can find'em in stores that sell camping goods, tents, etc. Cabelas has them. www.cabelas.com

They are a PITA though...

Unless you are anally retentive, another option involves melting a hole in the webbing where the grommet would go using an electric soldering iron. Fire that sucker up, hold the tip where you want the hole for a few seconds, and viola - you got a hole. Wiggle it around with a circular motion to enlarge the hole as needed.

(It might look better in the finished product if you practice a bit using a piece of webbing you can toss afterwards...)

Best,

Doc

Not much more can be said on the topic. Great answers guys.

WC --

Quick note - thanks for that most excellent link in your sig line. I had not seen that and enjoyed reading it. Wish I saw anything in what passes for mass media in Camelot on the Potomac that was something like this, rather than the relentless drumbeats of doom we are so frequently presented with. It was refreshing...

Semper Fi [/end hijack]

D.

One thing to be careful about when melting strap....use a nail or something SMALLER than the hole you need because the hole will always melt bigger than the object you use.

Doc Intrepid:
Grommet kits. You can find'em in stores that sell camping goods, tents, etc. Cabelas has them. ... They are a PITA though...
Add to the list Lowes and Home Depot. I don't find them to be a PITA personally. but you may. You will find different sizes. I find going with 1/2" grommets works - bigger than needed for the bolt, but gives you more flexibility.
Doc Intrepid:
another option involves melting a hole in the webbing where the grommet would go using an electric soldering iron.
Definitely the way to go. Use reasonable care and you will get a good hole. Mark the size hole you want for the grommet with a Sharpie, then heat 'er up.
Doc Intrepid:
(It might look better in the finished product if you practice a bit using a piece of webbing you can toss afterwards...)
Webbing is cheap. Buy a little extra webbing and practice putting in a grommet or two. You'll be a pro in no time.

Back
Top Bottom