Big hands, small dry glove rings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RPanick

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I just picked up some dry gloves for my Diving Concepts suit. My suit has latex wrist seals. The rings with the latex are a tight fit for my hands, at home I can get it on if I talc the latex inside and out (out needed to get it off again).

Last weekend I suited up for my first dive and promptly pulled the rings off the suit trying to get my hands through the ring/sleave. Good part is I was able to pull them the rest of the way off and still dive using wet gloves.

Looking at it after the fact I've come to two conclusions about the problem:
  1. The latex offers just enough friction combined with the rings to make getting them on a problem. I could probably handle it if the tight part of the wrist seals was outside the rings. A theory I can't prove unfortunately.
  2. My suit was custom fit, so taking the inch or so of the fold I suspect is contributing to the problem.
I checked over one of my buddies with the same ring system, and I have them setup correctly. He doesn't have any problems, but also has smaller hands.

I've come up with a few possible solutions, but wouldn't mind any other suggestions.
  1. Add something besides the large O rings to hold the seal in place. I haven't figured out what just yet. My first thought was to use a stainless steel hose clamp, but I can see problems with sharp edges, cracking the ring, and just generally doesn't sound like a good idea. Perhaps adding a large stiff rubber band or more O rings.
  2. Glue a Neoprene or possibly second latex attachment point to the suit for the ring. That way the inner latex seal isn't attached to the ring in any way.
Yes, I know I could go to the mounting solution that doesn't use the inner wrist seal, but I like to dive without gloves in the late summer so that isn't viable.

Bob,
I've had the samething happen to me. I've not come up with a solution. After reinstalling the rings I have not had them come off agian.I'm thinking of removing them all together. Seasoft is developing a new dry glove for the LDS in my area to try. So I'm waiting to try it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom