Differential Hotel Pricing - Guest Nationality?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marek K

Contributor
Reaction score
Anybody ever hear of differential pricing at Egyptian Red Sea hotels, based solely on the nationality of guests? I'm not talking about the fact that hotels there offer much cheaper prices to their own Egyptian citizens, than they do to foreign tourists... I can understand that.

We're arranging a charter package from here in Poland, to the Dahab Hilton. I had to provide our passport numbers; we all have U.S. passports.

The travel agency I'm working with has warned me that, according to their broker (Mania, the broker is Alfa Star), the hotel might charge us more because we're Americans. This despite the fact that we're living in Poland (not tourists here) and buying the charter package here. They couldn't tell me whether there had been any actual experiences like that.

That just doesn't sound right. Certainly wouldn't be legal, at least in the U.S... would it? What if we happened to have Czech passports? Or German? Or Zambian?

I'm sure charter prices would be higher through a London travel agency, or New York. But this??

--Marek

That is out of line, charging you more just because you are American. Did they give you any reason?

No... I did ask, of course, rather indignantly. But like I said, this travel agency (nice folks -- apparently as mystified as I am) is working through another agency who's the broker, and the broker agency is the one who warned them about the possibility (not certainty) of this.

We've been to the Red Sea a couple times before, different place, different travel agency. No problems with our nationality. I just can't believe the possibility of this could even be entertained...

It's the Dahab Hilton, for God's sake! Hell, Paris is one of us!! (Sorry...)

marek

it should not be like this. via travel agent you buy services like transport, accommodation, food and maybe dives.

for all this you get various vouchers. does the provider of said services not accept them, then just look for an other travel agent.

different countrys and different whole salers can indeed have different prices. once you have paid you have a valid contract which should be fulfilled by all partys. no matter of nationality

might be worthwhile looking in to german agents.

Marek K:
Anybody ever hear of differential pricing at Egyptian Red Sea hotels, based solely on the nationality of guests? I'm not talking about the fact that hotels there offer much cheaper prices to their own Egyptian citizens, than they do to foreign tourists... I can understand that.

Hotels here do not offer Egyptians less prices. And by the way, it's the opposite :confused:

swisstrav:
it should not be like this.
Agreed!
swisstrav:
different countrys and different whole salers can indeed have different prices.
Again agreed. But the differences are usually based on where the where the services are purchased, not the specific nationalities of the customers. Which I'm sure you agree with.
swisstrav:
once you have paid you have a valid contract which should be fulfilled by all partys. no matter of nationality
Well, that's the problem. We don't have a signed contact yet. I should be getting that today.[/quote]
swisstrav:
might be worthwhile looking in to german agents.
Hab' schon davon gedacht. But prices there might be, um, interesting too; the $/€ exchange rate hasn't been too good lately. Besides, we'd have to drag ourselves with dive gear to Germany first... it's a long enough flight as it is!

I should be getting the contact to sign today. I'll let you all know how it looks. I suspect this will end up being a non-issue. Just wonder why the broker even brought it up...

--Marek

Red Sea Shadow:
Hotels here do not offer Egyptians less prices. And by the way, it's the opposite :confused:
Really?? I think I've run into that several times... where hotels offer significantly cheaper prices for domestic Egyptian travelers. Makes sense, as far as encouraging domestic tourism in a not-very-rich country.

Here's a specific example; Iberotel Makadi Beach, where we've stayed before. The price for a Superior Double room is $103 for "[SIZE=-1]Egyptians and Residents of Egypt," [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]while $138 for "All Nationalities."[/SIZE]

I may have just assumed it was a common practice...

I would also try booking direct with the Hotel.
They all communicate in English via email and you don't get a travel agent taking a cut.
That's how I do it..

Oh IMHO the Swiss Inn next door to the Hilton is much nicer..

Marek K:
Really?? I think I've run into that several times... where hotels offer significantly cheaper prices for domestic Egyptian travelers. Makes sense, as far as encouraging domestic tourism in a not-very-rich country.
[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]

Hotels offer their agents significantly lower prices than they offer Egyptians, especially those agents in Eastern Europe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom