Ok Honestly?!?!?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FastPirate

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
ok...so im new to scuba diving and i know im beggining to sound like a broken record, but im going to africa in febuary, im 18 years old, and have limited cash flow... i have been searching around to buy my own scuba stuff... and i went on this website scuba.com. and found a package for about 600 bucks that falls right in my price range that i am ABLE (and let me emphisize that) to spend...now i understand that scuba gear is not something you want to skimp out on because it is a life support system... however i got scolded:no (and i mean scolded) by my local dive shop, telling me that nothing good can come of it, and that it was probably all knock off gear, and that there would be no warranty, and than when i told him that i was sure that the gear came with a full warranty, he than said "well you would have to find someplace to survice it" and my resposne was "you sell oceanic gear... couldnt you service it? and he responded with "quite frankly if some guy came in here and bought the stuff on the internet, saved a whole bunch of cash and had a warranty, id tell him to go ******* himself"...the guy was kind of a jerk, he was trying to tell me that i HAVE to buy a at least a aqualung legend, otherwise im to cheap for scuba diving...which of course makes me feel like crap because i work harder than that snot nosed little pr!ck does every day working construction. if i could afford to spend more i would because i really like scuba diving, i just dont have 1500 bucks to drop on scuba gear right now in my life.

so i checked the website again, and i was right the gear was covered under full warranty...
here's a list of what i wanted to get to start out...and be honest with me, tell me what you think and what you know about any of this gear, and even check out the warranty link and tell me if you think its ledgit,
http://www.scuba.com/resources/warranty_info.asp

heres the link to the packagehttp://www.scuba.com/shop/divesystems.asp
its called the oceanpro dive system, and it comes with :

Oceanic OceanPro BC with quicklock (QLR),
Oceanic Omega II/CDX5 Regulator,
3 Gauge Navcon Console with Max Depth Indicator and compass ,
Oceanic Slimline 2 Octo
(and a free dive bag)

over time id add onto it, but this is just to get me in the door

thanx guys:)

Well I don't have any personal dealings with Scuba.com, but as far as your gear choice goes, you chose good stuff. I have 2 Omega II/CDX5's and another balanced piston first stage with 2 Omega II's on it. Great regs that breathe very smoothly, and will be suitable for any recreational level diving.

Tell the person at your LDS, "to go ******* himself" - twice. The equipment that you chose is fine and will last you a long time. Scuba.com is a sponser of this website and has sold lots of equipment to your fellow posters.

Oceanic are a dependable and trouble free product.

as far as the dive shop... what Daniel said... im too much of a lady to say it myself :wink:

enjoy your diving

I think you've chosen some good gear. Enjoy it and dive! Buy what you want, where you want.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the gear. I would make sure you can get it serviced at your destination. The omega is a great reg. It has been discontinued however and though it is pretty straight forward in the design it can be a pain to tune if the tech does not know what he/she is doing. The adjustment is very sensitive and it does not take much to adjust it. If you are cetain of the tech go for it. If not I'd recommend the GT3 w/CDX5 non DVT. I've seen them sell new for anywhere from 200-275 and that's a good deal even at the high end. And I second telling your LDS to go intercourse himself, with a pole spear and paralyzer tip!

Before you buy from scuba.com, contact Larry at Scubatoys.com. He gives Scubaboard members a 10% discount and he's posts here on SB you can ask him questions or send him a PM (click here). I would be surprised if he couldn't beat scuba.com prices on a package and definitely their attitude.

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom